Preparing Elephant Fish

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    rdeejay
    Participant

let me know how you get on with your diy floats, if they do the job i’ll get my mate to tie some up

yellowfin
    Participant

This thread is so off topic

rdeejay
    Participant

yeah i really should split it

Miliwolf
    Participant

Its my passion in life to make threads off topic :oops:

St_Paul
    Participant

I’m a cheap bugger and make all my own rigs. I can make better than bought ones for a fraction of the cost of readymades
    you can make decent floats from kickboards and the like using a bevelled edge on a bit of pipe and your electric drill. a hot needle will poke a decent hole for the line.

on the ele’s front I usually fillet the straight away and wrap them flesh to flesh.

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

Very interesting comments and thanks RDJ for the accolades too along with mili etc.
    Elephant fish are an interesting deal and getting back to topic before I answer a couple of points….
    Any shark related species deserves to be handled in a specific way.
    I am surprised to read someone’s post where they were not fond of Rig??? WTF???
    Opinions …… we all have them and all are valued.
    OK, as soon as you get your take home shark, gut it, despatch the fins, head, tail and wash it in clean SALT water ONLY.
    If you have a bucket, soak the trunk and keep it cool in SALTWATER.
    Never put any sea fish under the freshwater tap.
    Ele’s have a chemical filled membrane near the backbone which if severed, will taint your fish leaving it all but worthless.
    Salt water soaking will remove basically all chemical taste from the fish, which usually emantes due to stress in the fish during your retrieve.. Get them on shore asap and despatch quickly if you want to keep them.

Ele’s LOVE pipis and crabs. If you can float your baits a little, all the better.
    Now, mention was made of floats and types.
    There was a touch on the best floats which are, as St Paul refers, made from the same closed cell foam as kickboards, only a little softer. The round foam or plastic floats work in keeping your bait drifting about ON THE BOTTOM.
    They will not even lift a bare hook so don’t kid yourself in thinking they will hold your bait aloft.
    The closed cell foam floats which are in fact NZ made, will do the floaty thing. In fact a 20mm float will take half a Pilly, with hook, right to the top if your sinker drops off or stop knot fails.
    A 40mm float will hold aloft vertically, a whole flasher rig with baits or even a whole pilchard when straylining.
    There are NZ made products incorporating these components in proven designs and they can be accessed through the likes of Hamills etc in ChCh, Hendersons in Blenheim, Stirlings Richmond in Nelson or even West Coast Fishing and Firearms in Greymouth, to name just a few outlets around the region.
    In a defensive reply, Store bought flasher rigs are never going to compete with the imaginative designs we dream up from time to time or the satisfaction of catching on your own pattern, but one thing they do have is uniformity.
    This means if you buy one that really does the numbers for you, there is always another identical rig on the peg right behind it to keep you on a tight line.
    Hope that sheds a little light on the topic and sorry RDJ we are no longer just round the corner from you (ah nostalgia!) we felt the need to locate in the lower Nth Island to be evenly and fairly reachable for all our customer base.
    Nothing is set in concrete and as my signature states, I miss the Salmon fishing and on top of that, will return to the Sth Island some day, you just never know whether sooner or later…. :wink:

Footnote: Bite rigs are imported from China and are a general copy of the Black Magic rigs specifically.
    re the bent hook on one of our products, as we stand behind every rig we produce (thats me out in the surf LOL!) PM me the details, rig size, colour, type etc and I will be in touch with you.

Miliwolf
    Participant

[quote:3nfxbuoe]Footnote: Bite rigs are imported from China and are a general copy of the Black Magic rigs specifically.

The Chinese tie good flasher rigs if thats the case. I also believe the Bite ones include a swivel which most other brands don’t. The worst store brought flasher rig I have ever tried was the NZ tied youvella ones which the warehouse sells. A blue cod can rip them to bits in seconds.

[quote:3nfxbuoe]In a defensive reply, Store bought flasher rigs are never going to compete with the imaginative designs we dream up from time to time or the satisfaction of catching on your own pattern, but one thing they do have is uniformity.
    This means if you buy one that really does the numbers for you, there is always another identical rig on the peg right behind it to keep you on a tight line.

I like store brought flasher rigs, they typically work well and do a good job. I can tie rigs up to the standards of the store brought ones, but most of the time I am to lazy or prefer to spend my time tying more unique creations.. A while back I Purchased a Gary’s Extreme Distance Rig and the effort and details which went into that is significantly better then anything I bother to tie.

Anonymous
    Inactive

South Canty Angler

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

Does that not sever the ammonia membrane and taint the fish?

fishforpot
    Participant

OMG someone isnt that fond of rig lol …….that someone might be me lol

Isnt the taste , its the texture I dont like …….

Im fairly sure the fishnchip shops prefer to use ele’s over schoolies over rig ….and thats exactly how I would rate them also

The mrs makes a marinade , worchester sauce , honey , crushed garlic and lemon juice …..soaks overnight , then crumbed and lightly fried ….
    Its ok for a change , but I prefer just crumbed and lightly fried ….

Anonymous
    Inactive

Fishy Bishy

Anonymous
    Inactive

according to crimpy’s fishing paper, elephant fish like hot shotz funky chicken soft plastic rigs.. has anybody tried this out ?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    baitman
    Participant

thats funny I wrote that question on yahoo answers. I ended up salting them they lasted a while all gone now though. Okains bay esturary if anyone wants to fine large amounts of big ones fast. at dead low tide look for lots of shells near the mouth of the stream and dig through pull them up by the handfull (remember the limits 150).

oldgreyboy
    Participant

take a 20 litre bucket fill it half full with sea water, catch a ellie, bust the spike off or use side cutters to take it off.cut thru the head an take that off, turn the fish over so its belly is facing up cut underneath till you you get to the part where the big flippers are make a deep cut and remove them then flatten the knife and take thru the belly flaps. with your fingers gut the fish wash in the sea put it in your bucket of sea water. fresh ones are like a slippery eel put in fridge for a while to stiffen up. then take a half inch strip off the top of the fish from tail to end of fish going a bit deeper at the dorsal fin. turn fish over take half inch strip from bottom of tail to where the flippers where.lie the fish on its side and split it taking care about half way thru as its a soft membrane and easy to cut thru the bone get an uneven fillet. now you have one fillet with no bone in and one with the membrane still in. lay the fillet with the bone in skin down on your slab take a really sharp knife and cut under the bone the side facing you , then again then take the frontof the membrane and twist it away from you,its just a matter of twisting and cutting under it till its removed, skin both fillets, and here is the most important part . after skinning fillets you may see a little white piece of bone about where you cut the large back flippers out just nip these out as they are the ammonia bones.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.