Preparing Elephant Fish

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    South Canty Angler
    Participant

Hi there, ive been in Timaru for bout 6 years now and this year i have finally decided to target eleophant fish, (bout bloody time), i have a great trace that “Falconers Field and stream” made up for me and i now live in st andrews, so armed with the right bait should be all good, but, ive heard that Ellies are quite different to prepare for the barby/smoker/oven/pan than normal fish, is this correct?

rdeejay
    Participant

This might help http://www.adventurebound.com.au/articl … _fish.html Although all i ever tend to do is jut cut the throat through the gills and let them bleed out, and boy do they bleed! easy as to fillet being a shark species, run the knife down each side of the back bone and there you have 2 nice big fat fillets and no pin boning required. Oh and be sure to cut off the big dorsal spike its bloody sharp and you really don’t want it stuck in you.
    What sort of trace did you get made up?

South Canty Angler
    Participant

Thanks, seems like there dead easy, the trace is just some big 80lb line with 2 big ling shang hooks on it, if i new how to upload photos on here i would take one for ya.

Last time i went out i used Mullett and Mussell for bait, the guys north and south of me both got Elephant fish, i got a carpert shark and 1 small grey boy, not happy, gonna try squid next time might have more luck then.

yellowfin
    Participant

I’ve caught all my elephant fish on the same rig, a Black Magic Seafood Seducer 5/0 with squid. Nothing fancy needed to catch ele’s, just need to put plenty time in.

http://www.completeangler.co.nz/black-m … 19532.html
    http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak- … 8_5834.jpg

rdeejay
    Participant

Here’s one i caught at the start of the year after getting back into fishing after a long absence.
    Clickable thumbnail
    “>

rdeejay
    Participant

Shark_Tale

rdeejay
    Participant

Try shellfish for bait..mainly Tuatua that is what their main diet consists of. Big crushing jaws so they take the shellfish whole and crunch it up.

yellowfin
    Participant

I don’t really see the point in paying for flasher rigs or any traces really. There’s something better about catching fish on traces you’ve made yourself or on flashers with your own combination of colours, especially when you look at the price of some traces. I’ve seen a pack of basic ledger rigs at the local tackle shop with no lumo or anything for $8 for 3. All you need is a basic 2 hook ledger rig with smallish hooks and a bit of shellfish for elephant fish. Bait cotton is also really handy for wrapping your baits onto the hook.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m not that fussy when it comes to targeting elefish, I have enjoyed success in recent years on them,
    I use 25lb suffix mainline ( abrasion resistance) 40-45lb quality shock leader (aprox) 2 rod lengths,
    A 2 hook ledger mustard long reds 2/0 chemically sharpened,long shank,with big eye for your shock leader,
    I find these deadly on the elefish, paua baits catch more fish.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Seems like I have found a use for the large stock pile of Paua bits I have in my bait freezer. Hoping to get down to Canterbury during the Elephant Season this year.

I purchase flasher rigs because it is cheaper then making my own (maybe). I typically stick with Black Magic, Bite or Hotshotz. Probably like Bite the best but they are hard to find in stock. Been planning to give Mac Flashers a try, they are tied on Gammy hooks so should be better quality then the above. Have heard nothing but positive things with regards to Mac Flashers.

I make my own pully rigs, big shark rigs because they are quick and simple to make and its a good way to spend time while waiting for a fish to bite. I also tie my own ‘special’ flasher rigs which include floats, flys and other gimmicks, wished I had a few during the Conway comp when the crabs were about.

rdeejay
    Participant

I’m sure fishy bishy would be happy to hear that mili that you like hotshotz stuff

Miliwolf
    Participant

I rate the hot shotz rigs quite highly, hooks are slightly less prone to rust then the Black magic ones. Although I did have a hook bend on one the other day which is not encouraging. The little ‘eyes’ they have on their flies look the part but I doubt they attract anymore fish.

I also find that Hot Shotz are typically slightly cheaper then Black Magic so its a simple choice. Bite is often cheaper then both, and they do a 3 for $20 deal which is good value. Black Magic’s 3 for $25 was also good while it lasted. No one stocks bite in Blenheim but normally grab a few whenever I am in Nelson. The Local hunting and fishing did stock a few for a whole but did not get anymore in after they sold out.

Have not tried the Snappa Flash or Mustad rigs. Mainly because they seem to use standard rather then circle hooks.

rdeejay
    Participant

It’s a bugger they are in the Nth island now, they used to live only a cupla mins away from me so could of got some cheap deals i reckon, been looking at some of those floats you mentioned to keep the crabs at bay and stop the little biggers pinching my bait.

yellowfin
    Participant

You can either put a single larger float at the top of your trace, or put a smaller ball float right before your hook, I think either way works. Tried the float above trace method at the pier and works 100% haven’t had a single problem with crabs taking my bait since I started using it, and people right next to me reel in their 5 hook traces with no bait on them. Also gives the bait some movement which is good for kahawai and probably other fish.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I have tried a couple of the floats sold by tackle tatic, The ‘Floating Beads’ seem to work well and are very tough. I use the Luminous spotty 10mm ones.

Also tried the Bait Rig Float Beads, they seem to work well but start to dissolve after a few uses. From memory both can keep a chunk of pilchard off the bottom… But my memory is hazy, would need to test them again.

Recently I been tying myself a few using this method
    http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=30071&title=tying-petes-popper

I have not fished any of mine but they float well in the sink.

The last option is to important a bunch of Surf Poppers from Ebay, I get mine from happyfishing188 and they work out to be a couple of dollars each.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.