Piper Fishing

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    davo
    Participant

Kids saw a cool fishing prog on tv about piper was wondering if you can catch them in sth Island maybe wharf at Timaru or canterbury somewhere?? Can anyone help please

yellowfin
    Participant

davo

Jones Jr.
    Participant

We have seen them off the Wharf at Kaikoura but they didn’t seem to be as plentiful as in the sounds.

Despite hearing they are meant to be right around the coast of NZ I’ve hardly seen them or heard of them being caught in and about Chch, when I was a kid (13 to 14 years ago?) I remember fishing off a friends boat around Quail Island in Lyttleton Harbour there. I remember seeing a few piper swimming around the surface but that’s about as much as I’ve ever seen. Am not sure about Timaru, maybe others might have some further info?

As Shark Tale says if there seem to be alot of piper about just a ledger rig with small hooks seems to get them fine, and with any type of bait. Just lower it down 2 metres below the surface. Ultimately I think a float on the surface with about 1.5 – 2 meters of line underneath it would be ideal, small hooks and a small weight etc. Might be awkward to cast out but should work well.

Cheers
    Aaron

yellowfin
    Participant

Pretty sure there’s none around Timaru ways or south of Christchurch. Plenty of herring/yellow eyed mullet though.

PierMaster
    Participant

Ive seen 1 caught at brighton peir over the years i have fished there and that is the only one i have ever seen caught there but i have seen them swiming in lyttelton harbour back when u were allowed to fish in there

yellowfin
    Participant

I used to do alot of fishing off the akaroa wharves when I lived there. We didnt really see them off the main wharf. But used to see them alot under the lights at daileys wharf.
    We done a few piper missions but were never very successful..

Sevengillz
    Participant

Just head to a wharf or somewhere at night,berley up big and wait.They seem to like the light but we have had more success with a torch rather than a wharf light.We used to just use a landing net with a finer mesh and hold it in the water with the torch shining on it and it worked a treat.But berley is the key.Without it you will prob be lucky to see more than a couple..if any.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.