Pier Restriction

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    tracknz
    Participant

Hi guys. Booger is correct with the results of the election. Tim Sintes is still an active commercial fisherman in that he holds the only crab quota for the area. As booger said he has put a lot of money into the pier, I hope that he and the rest of the new community board are there to act in the interests of the community and not to further their own political asperations.

I have read your complaint email Danny and think good on you. I would suggest you also send it to Anna at the christchurch mail anna.price@press.co.nz

yellowfin
    Participant

The local papers are certainly interested in this subject. There were two articles today (see below) and Chrissie Williams’ letter was published. There will probably be at least another two articles published in the next week or so in addition to these.

If you want some input into future newspaper articles or know someone who does, let me know.

Gail Sheriff will be the main influence standing in the way of a common sense decision for the pier ban. I have to wonder if her owning or being a director of a local cafe and apartments has got something to do with this ban.

From The Community News:

Pier fishing ban hard on kids, says local businessman

Mixed reaction to ban, says regional parks manager

By Chris Tobin

The weekend daylight fishing ban from New Brighton pier is going down like a lead balloon with children and parents wanting to fish there.

“If necessary, ban it for adults”, said Ross Le Compte, managing director of the New Brighton Sports Centre, “but not for children. There are so many weekend parents these days which is a shame in itself but it (the pier) is the only place in Canterbury where you can take children to a marine environment to fish safely, especially for the under 12s”

Mr Le Compte said more than a dozen people had either phoned him or approached him personally complaining about the fishing ban. He admitted as owner of a local sports business he could be seen as having a conflict of interest, but he felt passionately for the children who were being penalised.

“There’s a very general feeling among adults and parents about this. They phone me and ask, where do we go?”

Robbie Baigent’s seven-year-old daughter Jessica lives with her mother in Nelson. Jessica loved going to the pier to fish with her father when she visited at weekends or during school holidays.

That is now out and Mr Baigent said his daughter was upset.

“The weekend is the only time I can take her”.

“There is nowhere else apart from the pier and I’m not prepared to go to a shingle beach with her because its unsafe.”

The ban follows a decision by the Burwood Pegasus Community Board and city council not to allow fishing from the pier on weekends and statutory holidays between 6am and 6pm during daylight saving. Either a security guard or city council parks ranger is stationed at the pier between these hours ensuring there is no fishing.

“I guess we feel for the parents” said community board chairwoman Glenda Burt.

“It is disappointing for families, but we were asked to make changes.”

She said the ban will be reviewed at the end of daylight saving in April next year. Only one person had approached her expressing concern about the ban.

Regional parks manager Kay Holder said no trespass notices had been issued yet. She could not quantify the public response to the ban and remarked: “Some are happy, some aren’t.”

In her opinion it was too early to decide whether the ban was a good thing or not.

“We need to let it run.”

Reasons the ban was imposed included damage to a handrail and other structures, baiting being done on steps and not on cutting boards in an area set aside for this purpose, people operating up to eight rods, fishing in no fishing zones, using unsafe fishing methods such as overhead casting and leaving a mess behind.

From Todays Press:

PIER PROTEST
    ‘Disgusting mess’ worse than ever

John Hartevelt
    A Christchurch fisherman says the mess on New Brighton Pier is worse than ever, despite a ban on fishing off the pier.
    The Christchurch City Council last month implemented a ban on fishing from the pier following complaints about the mess left by fishermen.
    However, local fisherman Danny Reed says the mess is worse than ever.
    Reed contacted The Press with photographs of dog droppings, rubble and a crab catcher littering the end of the pier.
    “I have not seen such a disgusting mess at the pier before,” said Reed. “It was certainly nowhere near that bad before the fishing ban. So what’s going on?”

“All I see is a public deprived of a very popular recreational and family activity because the council failed to address it properly by dealing with the real culprits.”
    Burwood-Pegasus Community Board member Gail Sheriff, who was voted back onto council at the weekend, said the ban would take time to have the desired effect.
    “It’s a damned sight better than what it was,
    “But it is going to take time to get a full-time person on board to do the cleaning and get it sorted.
    Sheriff said the mess on the wharf had “gone on far too long”.
    A security guard had been monitoring the pier for “a week or two,” but could not be expected to clean up after people.

tracknz
    Participant

Isnt it interesting that Gail Sheriff brings up about security guards and employing a full time cleaner when we can all see that it would be a damn site cheaper and better in the long term to spend those dollars on policing and better educating the fishermen. One of the new councillers, Chrissie Williams,

yellowfin
    Participant

I got a reply to my last complaint, pretty predictable stuff:

Thank you for your additional thoughts about the fishing ban on New
    Brighton Pier.

yellowfin
    Participant

See below for an article that was in one of the local papers for East Christchurch. It includes 3 different people bashing the moronic decision (including the new councillor).

tracknz
    Participant

Booger

yellowfin
    Participant

I replied to Jane Parfitts reply. A bit of a smug email really, and a reminder to Gail Sheriff that things may not go her way as often during the next few years:

Thanks for the reply Jane.

I am sure that any independent group of people with a list of the full pros
    and cons

yellowfin
    Participant

This might get their attention.

yellowfin
    Participant

Got my first response, LOL!

[b:53c1amec]Mr Reed[/b:53c1amec]

[b:53c1amec]I take exception to your comments on MIDDLE AGE WOMEN
    yellowfin
    Participant

And the reply to all:

Gail

yellowfin
    Participant

Reply from

yellowfin
    Participant

And the reply to all:

Thanks for the reply Michael

tracknz
    Participant

Hi Guys. Chrissy Williams,City Counciller, has arranged a meeting with any that are interested to discuss how to go about a Deputation to the community board to try and overturn the ban. This meeting will be informal and take place at the New Brighton Working Mens club on Tuesday 20 November in the main bar. All are welcolme to come along.

yellowfin
    Participant

The deputation mentioned in the previous message was approved. A group of us are putting together a presentation/speech that will be presented to the board next Monday night (December 3rd). Some of the council staff who manage the pier will probably be there too.

yellowfin
    Participant

The speech at the council board meeting went well last night. Tracknz from these forums (Rob) did a damn fine job of presenting it – the councillors appeared to sit up and take notice.

It was only meant to be a 10 minute presentation but by the time they talked to the head ranger and asked questions, 30 minutes had passed.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 84 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.