- 01/10/2007 at 11:03 am #9103
Part of my letter to the council was published in the Eastern Christchurch “Community News”, which hopefully means that some of the people who are voting for the local elections right now may vote differently after reading it, though scum does have a habit of floating to the top regardless.. Here’s the article:
New Brighton fishing restrictions cause stir
By Joelle Dally
The fishing ban on New Brighton pier during daylight hours (6am-6pm) on weekends and public holidays over summer came into effect today, after the Burwood/Pegasus Community Board voted in favour of the restrictions earlier this month.
For Danny Reed, Opawa, and his two children aged six and four, it may mean having to leave their fishing rods at home.
He was so outraged at the decision, he wrote to the city council expressing his disappointment.
To page 5
From page 3
“The pier is the only place I can think of in Christchurch that is perfectly safe and where you have a decent chance of catching a fish that is actually worthwhile taking home to eat’ he said. “The average Joe with a full-time job and kids can generally only go fishing during the ban times”.
Those who refuse to comply with the ban could be faced with a trespass notice.
The extra security guards and seasonal wardens required for such enforcement is estimated to cost ratepayers $14- 16,000 out of the 2007/08 regional parks budget.
City council regional parks manager Kay Holder said the decision was a compromise between those who wanted a complete ban on fishing from the pier and others who wanted no changes to the current situation.
“People have been flouting the Current rules which include no overhead casting, using bait cutting boards and fish cleaning tables provided and not fishing in the no-fishing zone” she said. “We needed to make the pier safe for everyone”
Mr Reed believed it was a case of a few messy culprits and a vocal minority ruining a prime-time fishing spot for the responsible majority. He said he is looking forward to next year, when the weekend ban comes to an end.
“When people go to the end of the pier they see water and sky, in fact it’s exactly the same view of water and sky they see from the shore” he said.”Fishing gives the pier a real purpose, something to talk about and observe, and personality that will be sorely lacking”
The pier fishing restrictions will remain in place until April 6, 2008, and will be reviewed at the end of summer.01/10/2007 at 10:03 pm #9107
Further to the abve post keep an eye out for the Christchurc mail on Wednesday. I have also sent an email to Cambell live on this subject and it probably wouldnt hurt if they received a few more to see the issue is important. The best thing all of us can do a the moment is get together and make as much noise as possible and do what we can to get this ban overturned as soon as we can, cause if it is left to the council to review next year then all we will get is more of the same.
I am more than happy to put my name out in the public arena and try to be heard on this matter as are Danny, Ross at brighton sports and others that use the pier reguarly. If anyone has any more ideas on this that I can be of any help with dont hesitate to ask.
Robbie01/10/2007 at 10:24 pm #9108
As an afterthougfht to my post above how many of you would be keen to stage a protest on the pier. I feel that if we could come up with 40-50 adults and the same number of children, grandchildren or neighbours children etc01/10/2007 at 11:33 pm #9109Sounds like a good idea to me01/10/2007 at 11:51 pm #9110
The tv3 people came out to film at the pier on Saturday when I was there . If you didnt see it on the news, here is the video http://www.tv3.co.nz/VideoBrowseAll/Nat … aspx#video02/10/2007 at 12:55 am #9111
I see there’s a small comments thread for that video regarding the ban:02/10/2007 at 12:57 am #9112
Oh I didnt even see that02/10/2007 at 11:56 pm #9114
I started thinking about the ban again and got pissed off, so03/10/2007 at 2:51 am #9115I hope that the complaints from people that arn’t happy about the restriction will motivate these people to reconsider the options for next summer. I think that building a whole new structure would be really good, but I don’t think that they are going to want to spend a lot of money building it, so the best option would be for them to employ people to monitor the fishing at the pier during the weekends.03/10/2007 at 11:51 pm #9118
Hey guys. I sit here fuming about this still and upon rereading some of the articles about this realise the council have given us an opening to get some damn good publicity without going to the extremes of a protest. The council have stated that we can apply for the ban to be lifted for special or one off events. Are any of you prepared to work with me in arranging a kids fishing competition for say mid November. I am sure I know of some people who would be up for donating some prizes and we could canvas the local sports and tackle shops. The local papers could then be approached to come up with a bit of free advertising to promote it and then get them involved in covering the event. It would be the eaisiest way I know of to get a shitload of people to the pier and we could use it to show the council just how many people they are effecting with their ban. My email is in my profile so if you think this could work give me a yell and we can get together and start arranging something.03/10/2007 at 11:53 pm #9119A competition sounds like a great idea. Sometime late november or early december the fishing should be picking up and the Mullet should be back.04/10/2007 at 5:47 pm #9120
mullet are already back04/10/2007 at 5:55 pm #9121
I mean at the pier04/10/2007 at 6:01 pm #9122
pretty sure they will be there by now04/10/2007 at 6:09 pm #9123I caught only one when I was there on Saturday 22nd and I think there were only two others caught that day. On Saturday 29th no Kahawai or Mullet were caught. So I am thinking that it will still be a while before they come back in big numbers
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.