Otago Salmon – south of the Waitaki

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Whats the latest from the Waitaki, Taieri, and Clutha. Also hows the harbour been fishing? Sick of all the “Mak” chat so heres a forum for any southern anglers.

yellowfin
    Participant

100+ Salmon Weighed in at the Pub (i assume kurrow) from the Waitaki over the last 2 weeks. Biggest 25lb gutted.

averaging about 7 or 8 fish a day off the warfe in dunedin. not sure about anywhere else.

Taieri is dead, however it might get one last decent run over the next month.

mixed reports from the clutha, lots being caught off nugget point over jan/feb no idea on numbers up river.

yellowfin
    Participant

That pub is probably Merv’s at Glenavy..the’ve been weighing fish for years. Im heading up to the Waitaki this weekend on the jet boat. Hopefully get off the mark as I missed out last season.

Mal
    Participant

Only one fish landed for the entire day yesterday at the mouth of the Waitaki, can see them jumping out of the water in the sea further out. Have been more fish caught around Duntroon end.River is high & discoloured

yellowfin
    Participant

Mal

yellowfin
    Participant

An update for the Clutha,

River is not holding many salmon yet, but lots being caught at sea, around nugget point etc.

yellowfin
    Participant

Oh Jezza, forgot to mention me and the bro inlaw were in the kayak at taieri mouth last Saturday and he hooked into a bloody barracuda above the bridge. I was gutted as I thought he had a salmon. Just as bloody well I got the kayak to land otherwise we might have been missing some toes.

yellowfin
    Participant

on the fly

yellowfin
    Participant

spent the day on the Clutha from dark till dark.

started in Beaumont in the morning, had some fun with a few big hungry trout 6lb+ on the fly between holes, landed none!@$#

I had 2 follows on the zed spinner in some of the promousing holes, both big dark fish, but cant confirm if trout or salmon. both followed in the whole way and never changed pace to strike.

The water was very warm up river.

the afternoon was spent on the lower reaches where its tidal, past Balclutha, water was cooler and it seemed much more promousing, however its a long streth with no noticable hold ups, so it was a waiting game to see if anything passed my way, but no signe of any salmon, lots of sea run trout, manage to loose 2 trout on dark. and landed one flounder (I have never seen so many flounder, most were small 30cm or so).

lots of salmon being caught out off the nuggests but nothing much happening up river, i suspect the water is just too warm right now.

only able to confirm 2 salmon caught up river in the past weeks. one by sweedish tourists and one by a local.

with the Wataki being spilled again, we really havent got much to offer down south do we? :(

im off to Christchurch next week to change my luck.

yellowfin
    Participant

I heard 11 caught at Waitaki mouth last Saturday/Sunday but the river was quiet. Saw nothing

yellowfin
    Participant

hows the mouth sitting at the Waitaki currently. is it still favouring the north side? might stop by early in the morning tomorrow on my way up to the Waimak.

yellowfin
    Participant

Don’t know as I only heard that info through the grapevine and we were in jetboat upstream. I haven’t been to the mouth in ages so couldn’t tell you which direction but last time I was there, bout 2 years ago it was further north.

yellowfin
    Participant

Good weekend on the Waitaki. My old man and his mate have landed 5 Salmon this weekend…ranging between 12-20lb. I fished the Waitaki at Duntroon and lost a smallish salmon on silver toby, then jumped in jet boat with old man at bridge and landed what looked like a 3-4lb salmon but turned out to be a hen trout. Had similar colour to a salmon but the flesh and mouth gave it away. Must be a old sea-runner.

Hopefully the Taieri gets a run going. Gonna try some silver tobys on trout gear from the Kayak me thinks.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.