Opening Day

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

I am finally getting excited about the start of the season.

Last night I ordered my new seasons license :P

This afternoon, I tied a new leader onto my fly line, and even went out to the back lawn and gave it a few casts. Did not take long before I got my rhythm back, think I last casted a fly rod back in June. Been having to much fun spin fishing. :dude:

Tonight I went through a pile of fly boxes, sorting them out, trying to decide what I need for opening day. Jumped onto the Internet and ordered a pile of flies. So should be all sorted by Monday 8)

The long range forecast is looking good, so I might have a opening day without flooded rivers for once. Might head up the Goulter, might stalk the local streams. Should be a fun day unless I decided to work.

Whats everybody else’s plans for the coming season :)

yellowfin
    Participant

taking opening week off work, going to put the new kayak to use on Lake Mahinirangi, might do some fly fishing in the Oriti, Aripima and mararoa.

i cant wait to get out there!

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi Jezza, what’s the fishing like at Mahinirangi these days? Used to go there with my dad in the mid 70’s and he used to catch good size Trout and Perch near to the bridge.

yellowfin
    Participant

Still a hot spot, good numbers of Brown trout around 2lb, not uncommon to catch 3 or 4lbers, I dont think the lake can really support fish bigger than that.

still lots of small perch, I’m finding I catch more trout than perch these days which is a good change from a few years back.

I will usually catch 3 or 4 trout in a half day trip walking the lake front around the bridge, spinning with a cd7 perch Rapala, hopefully the Kayak will open up some better fishing waters for me.

burkefish
    Participant

looks like I’m not working Monday, so might break out the trout gear and have a look at some local streams. Haven’t trout fished for a couple of years, but have so much new stuff I haven’t used. Been concentrating on my addiction ‘salmon’. now that I have more time I can chase some trout around.

baitman
    Participant

I’ll be working but being daylight savings should still get 3-4 hours in might do the ashburton for a change.

yellowfin
    Participant

I was down at the the mouth of the Rakaia River on the weekend catching a few trout (21-23 September) – mostly because the mouth was unsuitable, read dangerous, on the south side for using the Rakaia whitebait scoop net, and because all I was catching surfcasting was spiney dogfish. While there one of the locals arrived on his quad bike and “suggested” that I shouldn’t be fishing until the 1st of October. He reakoned “everything had its season!” For those who may be unaware fishing for sports fish is permitted all year in the Rakaia River below the Coleridge Tailrace confluence (all the way from the Alps to the sea). There is a daily bag limit of two trout. I stress that he was not in anyway rude in his comments. For the record I kept one fish, and released two others that evening. What benefit he thought there might be to the fishery had I waited another week to catch them is hard to say! Interestingly over the three days I was there quite a few anglers were spin fishing. I counted at least several dozen brown trout caught over this time!

What do you think? Should more of these rivers in the eastern zone be closed during winter? If so what would be the benefits?

yellowfin
    Participant

I am looking forward to opening day this year. Its looking like a 3am start, 2 hour drive, 2 hour bike ride and then I can start fishing. Its a bit of a slog where I am headed but its well worth the effort to get there as there is always a chance of a double figure brown. I hope everybody that is heading out on opening day has a blast I have not been out on opening day in years. Have a good one yall.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I can not really see any significant benefit closing them during the winter. For most of the winter the majority of the fish are upstream spawning anyway.

baitman
    Participant

I think they have it right closing upper reaches of the main rivers and all of the smaller ones. No reason to close the lower reaches no spawning activity there if anything the trout retreat to the lower lagoon area once food gets scarce. But having done a few reckies without a rod on some of the smaller rivers I could see why they are closed (groups of big fish that are not as wary as usual could seriously damage a fishery if some w**ker got to them).

Miliwolf
    Participant

Got the day off, and have a certain something I plan to fish tomorrow morning.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Got up at a leisurely time and decided to check out Spring Creek, was first on the river but the sun was still to low for easy spotting. So around 8am I departed, changed into my back country gear and headed to my secret River, I got there around 10:30am. Drove upstream for a while and saw the stream was low and clear, just how I like. So I walked down to the creek and noticed it slightly discolored, “this would make it a bit difficult to spot” I thought, but it was not to bad.

But, the water soon turned to a dirty brown, impossible to spot. I was a bit mystified, maybe there was a isolated thunderstorm but the river level was still low. Maybe someone is doing earthworks somewhere upstream… I decided to push onwards to try and find what was dirtying my creek. After a half hour or so I started to see more and more willow derbies flowing downstream. Then I heard the occasional digger sound. Around a few more bends and there it was, a yellow digger ripping up the banks…… :evil:

I kept my opinion to myself and continued upstream to clear water, although I have already passed three of the best pools. Did not take long until I spotted the first trout of the day, and about that time I got joined by the norwester, The trout was a dopey fish which was hiding beneath the bank, third cast snagged a willow root right above the trout, so I moved on. Next trout was also sulking in the shallows, the only feeding was to take one natural from the surface and that was after I distributed it by dragging a obnoxious streamer across it several times. Casted half my box but it was in no mood to feed.

Next trout was stationed right in the main flow, at last a feeding trout. It looked big to. I got slightly close to it, so decided to retreat, changed my flies and have lunch to give it a chance to forget about me. Took a few casts but it took my fly, it looked quite small on the line but put up a good fight and weighed 5lb in my dodge net. Around this time the showers started, luckily not heavy.

The next trout I saw was sulking in the shallows and I did not try to catch it, it looked quite raw in places. While moving upstream, I passed within a meter of the trout which did not spook. Was a tired and spent fish. Could easily have been a 7-8lber in its prime. Shortly afterwards I returned to my car and I drove further upstream and checked out another stretch which often holds tout. There I spooked one extremely flighty fish. Considering the conditions, health of trout and the digger I was quite pleased with my effort.

baitman
    Participant

After work I headed to the upper selwyn for a look and drew a blank :(
    Plenty of good looking water but not a fish to be seen did some blind nymphing through some good looking pools and stripped a woolly bugger under some willows but nada. The selwyn has been running to the lake for sometime now I expected better.(maybe someone had beaten me there)
    Going to the rakaia lagoon to get a searun tomorrow evening 8)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.