non surf catches

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 327 total)
  • Author
    rdeejay
    Participant

Brother fished off Macintoshes rocks yesterday in the boat and got 5 kahawai and a few lost, he saw someone haul in a big fish on the bank which was probably a Salmon.

yellowfin
    Participant

went for a fish this arvo for a hourish up the kaiapoi above the motorway bridge juast going for mullet for something to do. poor results with about 10 in a hour and a small trout which i released bought a couple mullet home for the cat though and threw rest back not as good as it was a few years ago at the same location where u could just see school after school of mullet swimming up stream the water would be black with them

yellowfin
    Participant

went for another fish in the kaiapoi today average results bout 40 in 3 hours only 2 decentish size 500grams and the rest were tiny so a lil dissapointed

Miliwolf
    Participant

Speared two tasty Butters in Kaikoura today. Saw plenty of Moki, many of them large.

magooes
    Participant

Was the water very clear ? not to cold? might head up next weekend for a spearfish if the weather ok. Whereabouts were you spearing?

Miliwolf
    Participant

On the exposed coast the vis was between 2-3m at one spot, and between 1-2m at another. Both were south of the Peninsula.

Another spot, which is much more sheltered had vis approaching 8m+ .

Water is not warm, but I spent around 4-5hr in the water spread across three spots. Was wearing 5mm opencell wetsuit and was cold by the end of the swim.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Todays effort

9 Juicy Butterfish from Kaikoura

magooes
    Participant

Good effort mili, they look very tasty

Miliwolf
    Participant

Eight more Butters for the freezer. Taken from the Kaikoura / Marlborough coast. The biggest is the pale one at the top, over 47cm long. Vis today was a mixture, good vis North of Kai before the southerly hit.

“>

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Yakkaman
    Participant

Well done Milli must catch up sometime boys doing Okiwi Show weekend 4 day thing.

magooes
    Participant

Went for a spearfish at wainui today, got 2 large moki and 1 butterfish, missed another 3 of each so must have got rusty over winter. Vis was shit as usual. Would be worth rock fishing for the moki off the end of the island as there were plenty around.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Went out with a couple of guys from the Canterbury Kayak fishing club last night. Sea was a bit choppy at first but the norwester and the sea died down after dark. Warm night, and slow fishing. Until I noticed my rod tip being nibbled then it bent right over and the fight was on. Powerful runs and a heavy weight. After stopping the first run I quickly retrieved my second line because it was in the way. The fight was on again, I reduced my drag fearing the line would break. The characteristic headshacks were not common so I was not expecting a Snapper, probably a Sevengiller or even a ray. Eventually I pulled the fish off the bottom and in the beam of my headlamp appeared a large Snapper. I quickly had it beside the Yak where the decision was made to release it (lipped hooked ) I estimated he would have been over 20lb, but could have been anywhere from 16-24.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Four more Butters and a Cray was todays catch. 3-5m vis at Kaikoura.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Couple more Snapper and a few KY from my Yak while fishing in QC sounds Sunday night.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Speared a 12kg kingie (Bleed and gutted) in the QC sounds tonight.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 327 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.