non surf catches

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 327 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

I have heard about a few caught down there over last summer / autumn. If I was serious about catching a Kaikoura Snapper I would fish around Mangamaunu. Talking to people who have fished the east coast beaches before the 1970’s they were quite a common and a expected catch. That mainly applies for Cloudy and Clifford bay but also around Kaikoura.

fishforpot
    Participant

Yeah , thats the name of the beach/bay the bloke said we should try fishing off ……might try it next weekend if the seas more suited for Kaikoura than Amberly ……
    Stay overnight ,and fish the comp on the way home ….

Just looking on google earth , has panoramic views as well …how cool …..

Seems to be a bit of a lump in the coastline that might offer some shelter from a southerly swell ? …..wonder if it will be ok there tomorrow ….3-4m sth/ly swell forcast ……

Any spots along there that are any better than others ? I can imagine some foul at that south end of the beach ?? ….My mate’s an X-Wellingtonian mad keen fisho , club bloke who used to chase moki hard out , so he’s as keen as mustard …..
    A good guy to take out , he works hard when its quiet trying something different , refreshening baits etc ……An old mate of Pete Lam’s ….
    So when others would be trying to talk you into packing up , he’s too busy trying to making shit happen ….which keeps you interested lol …..

Im more interested in gurnard …but if a snapper comes along ……wtf lol

Miliwolf
    Participant

I have never fished there myself, I really only go down that way to target Moki. To the best of my knowledge the only place where one car park cars is right in the middle of the bay. Alternatively, one could park where the Surfies park and walk from there.

If my memory serves correctly last autumn a guy who I have meet down there several times before mentioned he have seen a dozen or so snapper caught of the beach at Mangamaunu… over the last summer or so.

The asian guy with all the cool gear caught one of the old wharf last autumn, went about 7lb or 7kg from memory.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Went for a spear fish after the Kaikoura contest today and got 3 nice butters :)

Should of spent the whole day in the water rather then on the beach.

fishforpot
    Participant

How deep you gotta dive to spear butter ? …..wouldnt be more than a few feet would it ?

Miliwolf
    Participant

I get heaps while floating on the surface, other times I have to go down 3-4m to reach them. They probably occur deeper but my breath-hold is lacking.

fishforpot
    Participant

Did you know the world record for breath holding ?

From memory its a shade over 11 min ……and its over 17 minutes when hyperventilating with oxygen for 20 mins before holding starts …..

Id be lucky to reach 17 seconds lol ……there’s lots of techniques to increase the time tho …if your into that sorta sport

Miliwolf
    Participant

Yeah, people are capable of crazy times. I think the user Mullins over on fishing.net.nz holds the world record for swimming downwards in a straight line. I think they get beneath 100m on a single breath. Quite impressive really. My breath hold under water is around 17 seconds, can do 2 minutes on land.

fishforpot
    Participant

A guy I used to work with sometimes is into free diving …..watched him a few times sit on the bottom of QE2 for like 2 mins …..I cant even touch the bottom lol

I read underwater holding is all about staying calm/relaxed ……..mind over matter ……easy said lol

Miliwolf
    Participant

You have to learn to ignore your body demands for oxygen and also ignore the pain which CO2 build up which occurs. Being calm/relax is a big part but only the start. I catch all I want in the shallows so I do not ignore my bodies warning signs.

fishforpot
    Participant

Mine kick in as soon as my toes hit the cold water …..call me soft lol ……

The guy I mentioned left to work in Oz , before I had a chance to take him out on missions where we chase blue cod and trumpeter off the rocks …was gunna send him down for crays , and retrieve all our lost gear lol …….

He reckoned he could go below 10mtrs for over a minute ….that would give me the shits , watching I mean ….stressing he wasnt coming back up ……cause 1 thing is a given – I wouldnt/couldnt go get him lol ……

yellowfin
    Participant

Spinning for Salmon at Kairaki last night for a couple of hrs, foul hooked a 3kg+ Kahawai in the back of the head! Bugger had me going intially, slowish retieve, lure stops, strike… fish moves off slowly at first til tension comes on then starts to pull line off very easily, even a few (almost) Salmon like nods, Im thinking YES!!! broken the duck this season, turn his head around, then the buggar jumps clear of the water & I see its a Kahawai, devastated. A couple more jumps & runs then its on the bank. Pound for pound of of the best fighting fish around IMO. Was a bit of fun & the only fish of any substance that I saw landed there last night, left at 9pm though easterly was a real bugger.

St_Paul
    Participant

you should try them that size on a 7 weight fly rod! heaps of fun. I’ve noticed that I hook a heap more on the fly than those spinning do when the fishing is hard.
    Rivers up here are looking very dirty at the moment, you can see big schools of fish congregating just off the dirty water line 300 or so metres out

yellowfin
    Participant

St_Paul

magooes
    Participant

Went for a spearfish at kaikoura about noon yesterday. Got 3 butterfish , all a good size too. Didnt see much else in the water apart from a small moki and a small school of herrings I think.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 327 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.