non surf catches

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 327 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

oh so you mean more in the lagoon on the south side by the river that goes into that? ive seen many more by the river that enters it by the car park onthe north side of the river cant think of the name of it. and i used to see alot of them close in my the bar but not anymore. i believe later on inthe year is a better time to go for flounder inthe mouth more winter isnt it?

fishsnatcher
    Participant

I’ve heard of people catching them at low tide, with minute hooks and the smallest crab you can find or a sea worm.
    This was near Dunedin out at Blue skin bay.

yellowfin
    Participant

yea they do that here too

rdeejay
    Participant

Decided to give the avon river a go for some mullet, i live on the upper section of avonside drive opp porrit park so have the river at my driveway across the road but never bothered about trying for anything. Caught 3 good sized mullet in about 15 mins and a couple of good sized eels the eve before. Pretty good i suppose if i need some fresh bait for surfcasting then i can just head out the door and across the rd. I also smoked the eels and 1 of the largest mullets they were quite tasty.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Just have to avoid foul hooking any prostitute which might be floating downstream.

rdeejay
    Participant

yeah as bad as that was crikey i wouldn’t wan’t to come across it. Going off for a bit of a quick fish across the rd and there’s someone lying face down..eeek

Miliwolf
    Participant

Caught two small Snapper kayak fishing out of cabel bay today. They took squid bait.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Fished over the low tide this afternoon, (Grabbed last weeks newspaper and thought I was fishing the incoming tide). Around dusk I caught a nice sized Snapper on squid, and a while later caught his friend on a gulp crab. Was a bit of a sea breeze when I first arrived but it died down. Fished from 4pm-8pm.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Had a uneventful evening fishing the peak and outgoing tide in the grove arm. Caught nothing. Nice and calm.

rdeejay
    Participant

Went for a mullet fish across the road from home today in the Avon, caught these using bread as bait. The biggest being 28cm, might of caught more but damn shag of all things popped up out of the water!!! and the fish stopped biting.

“>

yellowfin
    Participant

not bad mullet where in the aqvon u get them

rdeejay
    Participant

by porrit park on avonside drive in the part that branches off the main river, across the road from my driveway :) Oh and i ate the 2 bigger ones, damn they were nice rolled the skin in cornflour and fried them up in a butter/oil mix

elmo22
    Participant

went up to motunau island yesterday,for a fish. got there at 6.30am and had to wait for day light to come so i could see to get over the river mouth bar in my tinny, bar was flat and shot out passed the island a bit windy out there early in the morning and with the weather man saying strong nor west i was a bit worried, a bit choppy but died off about 9am and was very nice. fished on so cray pot boys and got nonthing moved all over the place went a couple off kms past the island nothing but a dog fish and a skate, went back to the crary pots and tired up there, nothing for a long time then about 9.30am i got 4 blue cod,1 skate,1 dog,1 pearch, then nothing all caught in 20mins high tide was 10.00am went back in about 11.00am. fresh blue cod for tea tonight. not the best fishing but not at work so thats got to be good

Yakkaman
    Participant

Hi Elmo I fish to the right of the Island plenty of blue cod there divers go to this spot all the time and in front of the Island is a good spot as well.

I fish from my Kayak drop an anchor and its all on.

elmo22
    Participant

went out to the right of the island ,about middle of it and about 500 mts from it, but only driffed around did not anchor, might have to try again when weather is good, might have to get a mobil fish finder to see the botton and find some reefs

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 327 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.