non surf catches

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 327 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Thats awesome that you can get that amount of fish in the shallows!!

yellowfin
    Participant

Nice effort.. I’ve just bought a speargun for myself but havent had a chance to use it yet.. Well I did have a chance but I wasnt too keen on the water temp :L
    Hoping to have a decent go at it this summer.

yellowfin
    Participant

i intend on getting myself a gun this year

yellowfin
    Participant

was caught while mullet fishin in the kaiapoi river put in a decent sized bait too show aaron something cast out a few min late that was hooked……. “thats why i use 3/0 r 4/0 hooks when mullet fishing”

Yakkaman
    Participant

Went out on my kayak at Kairaki yesterday wind was cold as but caught 4 kawahai (small) and heaps of herrings something quite big hit my softplastic lure and managed to spit it out now that would have been a story :roll:

fishsnatcher
    Participant

lol according to a friend of mine [he hardly ever goes trout fishing] he has much more success on windy rainy days, but all he does is use worms for bait with a sinker and leave it out in the water. Probably because the wind stirs up the water making it muddy.

yellowfin
    Participant

Happy New Year to all,

Have just returned from an awesome 10 days spent on the Kapiti Coast & Wellington reigons, & wouldnt you know it had a couple of fishing excursions whilst I was there.
    Base was at Otaki Beach, so took a salmon surf rod & reel & gave the Kahawai at the Otaki river mouth hell! on more than one occasion. Some very good fish taken in some brilliant weather.
    Also a short run west out of Owhiro Bay(Wellys South Coast) on a mates 459 Stabi with dive gear & rods landed 8 Crays, numerous Kina, 6 Blue Cod of very reasonable size, & 4 rather large Banded Wrasse approx 45-50cm in length, that were very thick in the bodies, so they went in the smoker & were delicious.
    Next day we returned to almost the same spot, but this time on a couple of quads with snorkelling gear & got our limits of very good sized Paua each in a very short time, it is good to see that you can still get a feed so close to one of NZ’s largest cities.
    There were plenty of people diving/snorkelling that day & Im sure not all were playing by the rules so was dissapointed that MAF were not present at the only exit point. I know this area has been hammered by poachers in the past.

elmo22
    Participant

went up north of kaikoura on the weekend,got up there about 8pm set 3 crary pot and went for a fish in my 12t tinny,the sea had about a one and half metre swell went out to the reef but got nonthing, checked pots on sat moring got 6 legal crays went for a fish got only 3 blue cod 1 sea perch, came in and went for a snorkel got 1 paua cant see them,but other got there limt,water clean,windy sat afternoon with big swells and white caps,went out later in afternoon with a 2meter plus swell not nice got some dogfish,1 couttua, went checked pots sun moring 1 cray went fishing big swell still (should not be out in it in little boat) got 3 ble cod and 2 sea perch came in went paua diving got 9.. saw butter fish on saturday (6) but did not have spear saw nothing sunday water a bit dirty… over all a poor trip as i normally get 10 blue cod a day and more sea perch hope to go up there nz day

Captain Hook
    Participant

Thats not too bad Al, it’s more in 2 days than you caught in 10 days over Xmas. :wink:
    I didnt catch any fish last weekend, but then I didnt go out fishing either, so its not surprising. :roll:
    Too busy fixing the Landie so I can get away trout fishing over the long weekend. Heading for the upper Hurunui for the 3 days.

elmo22
    Participant

hi pete, get a hilux and you can go fishing any time lol. was going to go fishing firday night but a southery is coming so be to rough

elmo22
    Participant

went to to waimack mouth on saturday 2.30. –5.00pm hooked 2 ky landed 1.—– about 4 salmon and approx 20 ky were caught before we got there.was going to put my flounder net out but alot of sea lettuce about so did not bother too. was going to go this moring but sleeped in.. if weather is good this weekend i am off back up to kaikoura for a fish and snorkel

yellowfin
    Participant

have you ever done very will with a flounder net at the mouth? i assume you put it out by boat or do you walk it out at low tide? i myself have a flounder net and have ben thinking of putting it out at the mouth but at times the amount of crap inthe river has made me reconsider. i hav seen alot of nets put in stupid places right in front where the bulk of people would be fishin closer to the outh itself and no more that 10/20m off the land i personall think this in a way is selfish and unfair on other river users

Miliwolf
    Participant

Remember it is illegal to use set nets in the lower sections of a few rivers. Check the map first.

http://www.fish.govt.nz/en-nz/Environmental/Hectors+Dolphins/ECSI+Set+Net/default.htm

It appears that only the mouth is off limits for the Waimakariri.

yellowfin
    Participant

yes looking at that map where most of the nets i have seen previously are up stream of the mouth more like more oppisate there you can see that estuary there milli otherwise known as brooklands lagoon or by there you can see thgat other stream comming out onthe north bank

elmo22
    Participant

i have a 12ft tinny that i use. i put the net in on the mud flats by the mouth of the styx river. dont get alot of flounders about 6-8 most times but they are nice a big..

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 327 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.