non surf catches

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 327 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

i got 5-6 mullet and one kahawai on the softee… Great fun on trout rod.
    Plenty of bait on dark too.

troutfishernz
    Participant

How big were the Mullet? Wouldn’t mind catching a few to smoke up.
    Will probably head down the mouth at some stage over the weekend.

yellowfin
    Participant

I was at the mouth .
    And not very big . If you want big ones a can of sardine and pilchard cat food from countdown off the wharf u can temp the moki and ky like that too.

troutfishernz
    Participant

Plenty of Kahawai at the Opihi mouth today, had a fish for an hour or so this afternoon and was hooking fish every 2nd or 3rd cast, Managed to land 4 around 4-5lb plus lost the biggest Kahawai Ive ever seen, Huge fish that must have been 8lb+ took me deep into my mono backing.

yellowfin
    Participant

I was down there tuesday night and some nice man landed me a 7lb brown in his whitebait net.
    We were dicussing how crap berkley softbaits are and how good the dragon lures are.
    Right on dark i hooked it out about 30m into the lagoon and what a scrap! When i gutted it it had two 6″ sardine like fish inside it. They werent mullet or silveries.
    I also speared a 50cm flounder which i ate yesterday beautiful :).

troutfishernz
    Participant

The berkley softbaits certainly worked well on the Kahawai yesterday, Ive got some of those Dragon softbaits and they worked great at the canals on the Salmon but haven’t tried them for Trout yet.

yellowfin
    Participant

Yea man i had a comp with another mate in tekapo last fri , he used berkleys and i used dragons i caught 10 to his 1
    And when he changed and i changed he caught 8 i caught 2
    strange eh

troutfishernz
    Participant

Fished down the Opihi mouth this afternoon, Surf was to rough and dirty for Kahawai but managed 3 flounder on a 7g spoon.

yellowfin
    Participant

Nice work on the flounder been getting alot in there

Miliwolf
    Participant

Been a while since my last update, been spending most of my fishing time trolling in the Kayak mainly building endurance for summer trips out wide to target tuna.

Went out of Tennyson this afternoon and had nearly perfect weather, went around the Islands and found a feeding school of medium sized Kahawai with a few pesky snakes. Slow trolled a Kahawai around for a hour or so but it got no attention. Water was also quite clear, could easily see the bottom 5-6m down.

Tennyson Inlet has to be one of my favorite parts of the Sounds, shame about the long drive in on the narrow road. Had three near misses while driving over the hill, some people go way to fast.

Would hopefully get out for a Snapper fish tomorrow night, been to long since I caught one. Went out a couple of weeks back, conditions seemed suitable but no Snapper strike.

yellowfin
    Participant

Goodluck today Mili

troutfishernz
    Participant

Had a few days fishing in Otago, fished the Tairei on Tuesday and got 7 Perch the biggest 2.5lb plus some mullet.

fished lake Mehineragi on Wednesday and got about 20ish small perch plus a 2lb brown, after that fish a nameless small otago stream and hooked about 30 smallish Trout in the 1-3lb range.

Fished the the Tairei again on thursday and lost a Kahawai plus got a small searun brown around 1.5lb. plus fished the Otago harbour and got some spotties and undersized Blue cod.

called into the canals on the way home today and got a few Salmon around 2-3lb plus lost a big brown.

yellowfin
    Participant

You sure do get around

shark slayer
    Participant

thats the way troutfisher..some good catches there mate

troutfishernz
    Participant

Cheers Shark Slayer.

Was down there for a meeting Rig_slasher so Decided while im down there to make the most of the trip and get as much fishing in as possible only had 3 days so was pretty rushed, would really like to spend some more time down there and do some sea fishing as it really looks good off some of the rocks. was great to catch some Perch though as there isn’t any around South Canterbury that im aware of.

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 327 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.