non surf catches

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 327 total)
  • Author
    troutfishernz
    Participant

caught my first ever eel on a rod and reel at the opihi river lagoon today Put up a decent fight too. Quite a few Salmon caught at mouth after 5pm once the tide started going out.

smokin’ joe
    Participant

nothing kept but caught small gerboy and blue cod from dinghy around the reefs near Timaru. got out a wee bit late so will crack into then earlier tomoorow.

troutfishernz
    Participant

Got 4 founder at the Opihi Mouth Today biggest around 45cm, Caught on a small Spoon dragged across the bottom.

smokin’ joe
    Participant

any salmon caught out there this morning ? seen a few guys on both sides of mouth.
    we tried opihi mouth from a boat this morning. very little action at mouth but dropped longline offshore between Connollys and Beach rd.
    small greyboys, spikeys as well a couple decent treshers. one at 4-5ft and another that halfed our catch at 6-8ft. luckily he managed to cut through line before he came aboard.

troutfishernz
    Participant

Saw a small one caught on the North side around 11ish but nothing else Taken in the 5 hours I was there. Pretty much everyone was gone after midday.

elmo22
    Participant

nice flounders there, great eating

troutfishernz
    Participant

yep one of the nicest eating fish around I reckon and good fun catching them on a light rod.

troutfishernz
    Participant

Went down to the Opihi mouth again today, Lost a small Trout and caught a Flounder.

troutfishernz
    Participant

back down the Opihi Mouth Again today, Caught 1 big Flounder and Lost what I suspect was a Salmon.

oompalompa
    Participant

awesome flounder. is it a slow retrive catch them. i normally go spearing in the ashley but would to be able to get them on a rod

troutfishernz
    Participant

Yeah its a very slow retrieve, let your lure sink right to the bottom and retrieve slowly so the lure is dragging along the bottom, The flounder get attracted by the lure kicking up mud/Sand etc.

oompalompa
    Participant

cheers man, will give it a go:)

shark slayer
    Participant

cool catches there troutfisher..i have been wanting to catch flounder on rod for ages now but have only tried a couple times..its good to catch something different that not everyone gets ya know? and they are superb eating..i have the motivation now i shaltz see what i can do :razz:

shark slayer
    Participant

i see you were asking about corn as bait troutfisher..did you try it and if so any luck??

troutfishernz
    Participant

Yeah tried using corn a couple of times but didn’t have any luck with it, Dragging a lure across seems to be the best method for me, although I did loose the odd lure to snags.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 327 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.