non surf catches

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 327 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

Did not catch anything, but heres the reprot.

Last night after dinner I decided to go for a troll around Waikawa Bay in my Kayak. At around 7:00 I launched at Waikatiti Bay and headed towards Karaka Point, as I approach the heads the chop from the norwester become apparent. It was quite grumpy around Kakaraka Point, okay for paddling but would not have been much fun to fight fish (was targeting kingies). So I decided to head for Allports Island, it was a bit slow pushing into the wind, and the sea was getting angrier the further out I got. So I turned and surfed back to Karaka in next to no time. So I decided to check out the Snout instead. The peninsula blocked the wind and it was nearly calm, so I trolled up and and down there 5-6 times but very little fish sign. Saw a spectacular moonrise, and was quite dark by the time I got back to the car. No fish, but good exercise. All up around a 10km paddle.

So I decided to check for Squid, the wharfs at Waikatiti were swarming with Garfish and herring (not going to call them by the NI names anymore), but saw no squid. So over to the Marina, where there was a lot of Garfish, small herrings and other bait fish. Again no apparent squid. Shortly after 10 I was joined by 3 others who were also after squid, news travel fast. I moved to fish a different section of the Marina before heading home at 10:30pm.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Still exhausted from the weekend ,

Arrived at French Pass mid morning, but was feeling lazy so decided to explore the road to Bulwer instead, waste of time, next to no formed public access to the water out that way. Might be a few paper roads which can be hiked, so returned to French Pass.

Launched around 1pm, and pushed into what was probably the strongest wind of the day. After a little trolling and jigging around the Island, I decided to check out the campground. Upon landing caught a KY which would have been perfect for a livebait… oh well. Would catch others so released it.

Fairly nice campsite, under the trees, small stream with heaps of old whitebait and crawlers after dark. So went for another troll and discovered a spread out workup near “the cove”, double hook up. Couta, and a massive Kahawai. More Coutas were to follow, a lot more…. Caught another small bait size kahawai but it spat the hook…

Returned to establish camp and have dinner, evening troll around the island and along the coast to Kapowai Bay. A few strikes, and a fight with something heavy but the line snapped. Suspect Couta’s got the line.

Woke at 5:30am and out to the island for more trolling and jigging, then across to Stewart island. Slow jigged for a while but only blue cod and perch. Across to the Peninsula, more couttas…. There was a workup trying to get established all morning in Catherine Cove and it really started to fire after a dozen or so seals joined in.

So I followed them across, impressive site of coutas jumping from the water, got to the seals only to discover they were feasting on large Kahawai and throwing them all over the place which got the birds excited. Fished a bit but only more coutas.

Back to camp, packed up, more fishing around the small island before returning to French pass and home.

The little Macskippy which Uncle gave me caught I think 8 coutas and 2 Kahawai before it was lost when a couta sliced the mainline.

Did not even see a Kingfish, but still had a enjoyable 30km paddle. Next to perfect weather. But my body is not use to such distances. Plus I had to use my old paddle because I must have forgotten to pack my flash graphite paddle and left it at the old concrete wharf in Havelock the last time I went out.

troutfishernz
    Participant

Fished the Moutere channel near Motueka this this morning. Caught a steady stream of small Kahawai Around 25cm on softbaits which was great fun on a Ultra light rod. Went quite for a an hour or so then I caught a Large Wrasse on a softbait which was interesting. After that sea lettuce became a problem so went home.

yellowfin
    Participant

There’s a few kahawai at the mak mouth…http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … u8JXx0hIww

aretheyrunningyet
    Participant

I got bored casting for non-existent salmon this morning so had a crack at the kahawai at the mak mouth. Plenty around and all good sizes.

troutfishernz
    Participant

Nice video Kevo.

Went for a quick fish in the Lower Waimea river this afternoon hoping to catch a Kahawai myself. Heaps of Mullet around but sadly nothing else :(

Miliwolf
    Participant

Have not updated this for a while.

Been doing a lot of trolling for Kingfish, with no success. Done three missions over to the boulder bank, and only caught a single massive kahawai. Also done a couple of missions into the QC (one trolling, one livebaiting), and a trip into Port Underwood where I trolled and fished mussels for Moki.

Also been down to Kaikoura a couple of times, first trip was spearfishing, decent visibility saw a couple of big Moki and many smaller ones (Most of the Moki were in a single school). Quite a few Butterfish which were easy to shot once I found them. Lots of crayfish, but on the small side. Second trip I was hoping to go kayaking, but was to windy so I just played with the seals instead.

Was going to go Snapper fishing tonight, but the 4am start this morning, combined with three hours of trolling have left me buggered.

troutfishernz
    Participant

Is it worth fishing the Boulder bank landbased Miliwolf? Have heard there has been kingfish up to 18kg caught but wonder how close the come in.
    Last time I was there 8 years ago and there was lots of snags and small snapper.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Yeah should be, they do at times chase the baitfish into the shallows. Using a balloon to take a Livebait out should work, assuming the wind is offshore. Otherwise use a slider rig to get it out but more issues with snags. Best spot is probably the Glen, the water is sightly deeper there.

Spearos report seeing a lot of kingfish in the water, but seeing and shooting them is easy. Getting them to take a lure is more difficult.

troutfishernz
    Participant

Thanks for the info Miliwolf.

I went softbaiting at the moutere Inlet this morning, Got 1 Kahawai a tiny spottie and some mullet.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Did a lot of trolling this weekend out from Kaikoura, was after Tuna but did not even see one…. Water was a decent colour and the wind was calm. Heaps of sea perch when bottom fishing, investigated a workup and had a school of massive Kahawai glide just beneath my kayak.

After my trolling I jumped into the water south of Kaikoura and speared a big Butterfish, visibility was good. Saw quite a few others but one was enough.

elmo22
    Participant

i am going up to whypapa bay this weekend as the swell map looks calm for my wee 12ft boat hopefully get some blue cod and perch. have not caught much perch up there other times will look for paua, but if i was a paua i would feel pretty safe lol

yellowfin
    Participant

haha Allan

elmo22
    Participant

went up to my normal camping spot just before whypapa bay, got there 7.30pm firday night, unhooked the caravan and then got my boat ready to lanuch of in the small bay, went and set my 3 cray pot and then went for a fish. was a fairly big swell but just went out slowly to the reefs well the blue cod were very kind to me this night and got my 10 and 5 (hum) scrappys preach, and 2 crayfish on the rod only 1 legal…saturday the sea was much flatter and went and checked the pots ,had 5 in them only 3 legal.. of out to the reefs went farther out than normal to other reef and got in to some big blue cod, keeped moving around to other pot that were out there and got my 10 blue cod, 8 scrappy/sea perch, got approx 10 big dog fish they put up a good fight and a few other reef fish.. got 6 blue cod between 45-47cm and most of the rest were 35-up..nice big ones… went out and check my pots sunday morning and got 3 legel crays the sea was to swelly for me to go fish so pack up and came home home by 12.30 .. dont think that my pots are that good at catching crays as i dont get many, other person and a girl were there and they only had 1 pot when they went and got it and brought it back in as they said it was to rough out there to check the crays they had approx 20-24 crays in it, here i was thinking that i did ok with my three, well 2 pot as my rope broke on saturday moring… beaten by a bloody female not good lol

Miliwolf
    Participant

Went for a two hour energetic troll in the grove arm and now I am stuffed, no hooked ups. Just a few months ago I struggled to paddle 100m before needing a rest, now I can power on for hours… Amazing how quickly paddling fitness returns (and leaves).

All up covered around 11km, So must be going around 5.5km/hr…. my yak is slow :(

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 327 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.