non surf catches

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 327 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

A bit like Blue Cod, maybe cross with a bit of flounder. Without trying it beside other fish its hard to say what it tastes like but it is nice.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Alarm went off at 6am this morning, ready for a early start. At 6:20 I finally convinced myself to get up and I was soon on my way to Okiwi Bay.

Nice weather, mostly overcast but calm.. a weak southerly wind blew at times to prevent things from being perfect. Caught 2-3 Snapper at the first spot, a couple of Kahawai, Barracouta then the carpet sharks turned up, after about 5 I had enough so decided to paddle to a different spot. There was a mussel barge working nearby, do not think they were harvesting, probably putting newly seeded ropes onto the farm. Still decided to fish behind them, quickly had a pannie but it soon become apparent that the coutas were plentiful. Caught a couple more pannies but by then I was tired of the coutas so started to head back.

Very low tide when I returned to Okiwi, 5 or so boats were on the beach / grounded waiting for the tide to come back in.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Brilliant weather again, sleep in so got to Okiwi at 9am. Was soon paddling towards the outer points. Instead of heading towards the Mussel farms which were producing last weekend I decided to make the effort and check out the Island for the first time.

Was feeling a bit tired when i got there, drifted around for a while flicking a softbait but only caught blues. Paddled around to the other side of Island and anchored in close but nothing. So moved out deeper, chopped up a bonito tuna I have for bait and put the remains in the burley pot. Took a short while but soon had the first pannie on board, most of them were quite small so got released. Caught around 8 in total before my slipping anchor blew me off the spot and I started to catch doggies.

Could not be bothered returning to the Island so paddled to the Mussel farms… nothing happening there. So after a short break I returned to Okiwi. On the outer point I caught one more Pannie which was released.

Miliwolf
    Participant

This summer seems to be dragging on and on. Which is a great thing

Arrived at Okiwi Bay later then I planned, conditions were nearly perfect as a paddle around to the Mussel Farms. There was a couple of tinnys there when i arrived but they departed after a short while.

Fishing was slow to begin with, only catching a single Carpet shark at my first spot. After a while I moved to a different spot in the farm and after about half a hour the bite started. The Carpets and Doggies were first on the hooks, but they quickly got out competed by massive Kahawai, they were difficult to land in the mussel farm. Was getting sick of the KY and was thinking of moving, but they stopped feeding. Then the Pannies started to feed, with the occasional snake attack to prevent the otherwise pleasant fishing. Caught approx 5 Pannies, but nothing big.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Kayaked fish out from OKiwi today, felt like Winter has arrived. Was fairly calm, but a cold draft prevented me from feeling warm. That grew into a gentle breeze by early afternoon. Caught a Doggie and a Carpet on anchovies. A few other nibbles on Anchovy and Mussel bait.

Miliwolf
    Participant

The setnetters have been catching reasonable numbers of large flounders from the lagoons recently, and because flounders are so tasty I decided to head down tonight for a look. Arrived a bit after 7, the tide has been incoming for the last couple of hours but clarity was still good. Luckily there was next to no wind all night.

Spotted around 15 flounders, but no large fat ones which I like to spear. A few would of been legal. Also saw 7 trout patrolling the mud flats and a couple of eels.

Checked out the mud flats near the bar, but like always the water was dirty. Might try again latter in the week. Floundering is good in winter, because it gets dark so early.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Speared fish around Kaikoura today, the butters were extremely flighty, missed a couple of 50/50 shots. Did see reasonable numbers, although only one Moki which was tiny. Heaps of Paua, so gathered a feed. The female crays are still in berry. Vis was just okay.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Took my Kayak down to Kaikoura Sunday, the sea was fairly calm but I still felt seasick. There was plenty of bites but only undersized cods to show for my effort.

Wished I have brought my spearfishing gear because there was quite good visibility, the crays should be moving back into the shallows shortly. Next weekend could bring excellent results if the forecast holds.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Went spearfishing down Kaikoura today, first tried a spot north of the town. Visibility was okay, saw about 1000 Paua and a few crays but I wanted butterfish. So relocated to a proven spot, visibility was good maybe 6m, saw quite a few Butterfish, mostly smaller ones. Speared five. Saw a couple of decent size Moki.

elmo22
    Participant

gee when i go for paua if i see six and get three thats a bloody good dive my me, will have to find better area to dive in as the spot i go to is well fished out years ago before i stared diving, up by whypa bay is were i go easy to get to and can stay there in the caravan and can launch the dingy from in there

yellowfin
    Participant

Half a dozen eels and a flounder last night , 3 in an eel set trap two on handlines and speared one eel and one flounder (which might i add tasted beautiful)

Miliwolf
    Participant

Lost count of the number of wrasse I caught out Kayak fishing today, I suspect the berley got them into a feeding frenzy. Probably only a minute between fish…

fishforpot
    Participant

Last time I went after paua I got my limit without getting my feet wet lol …..plenty around if you go to the right spots …..
    I’m not posting it here Elmo , but ask me next time our paths cross down the Mac

elmo22
    Participant

not seen you down there this year fishforpot ,, you not well

fishforpot
    Participant

been down 3 times , maybe 4 , fished right down the back …been working on the bloody rebuild lol

Bait must be due to run down there …

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 327 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.