non surf catches

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 327 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

Went for a Kayak fish from Hori Bay today, fishing was quite slow around the reefs. Drifted over sand and landed a couple of Gurnards and a Doggie.

Might have to go back one day with a big burley bomb to see if I can attract more carrots.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Went for a Kayak fish off clifford bay today, paddled out to near the end of the kelp forest but had little luck. First drop of the day caught a nice fat blue cod but that was it. Had a couple more fish on but they tangled me in the kelp. Perfect weather.

Had a look at Ward, before backtracking to Clifford and the water was dirty with a decent size swell.

yellowfin
    Participant

mullet ished the other day got about 20 mullet plus a about 20 salmon smolt and lost a good brownie 6lbish right at the bank

Miliwolf
    Participant

Spent the night in Kaikoura, but whiskey kept me away from the wharf and allowed me to berley the water during the dive. Got there yesterday evening, had F&C for dinner then went for a Spear in South Bay, not many big Butters but plenty of legal size. Shot three, raided a Paua patch then grabbed a couple of Crays.

Up at 6am before the hang over, back to South Bay. Plenty of Butters including bigger ones, also several schools of good size Moki plus heaps of small ones. Speared two big Butters. After dive was stuffed, was a slow drive home including a half hour sleep on the side of the road… Have cleaned the fish, cooked the Cray but still have a truck of dirty gear to clean.

elmo22
    Participant

good stuff when i go to kaikoura i have troulbe finding any fish to shot think i make to much noise as im not a good swimer i go up by why-papa bay only get 4-5 paua when i dive so im noisey and bind lol

Miliwolf
    Participant

elmo22

elmo22
    Participant

thanks milwolf will try that next time

yellowfin
    Participant

Yup as Mili says. Find a channel or gut. and when you spot one there is generally a whole heap more around. I’ve often sat in one spot to get all my days fish.

magooes
    Participant

Hey Milli, Im heading up to nelson after new years with the wife and kids in tow. Staying close to cable bay. Can you suggest a good place to jump off the rocks for a spear ? I am thinking of taking my inflatable up there but not sure if worth the hassle . Any help would be great thanks

Miliwolf
    Participant

That area gets a thrashing by spearo’s year round. Head as far around the rocks as you can go, these a few Butterfish / Moki and occasional other species. Kingies might make a appearance.

magooes
    Participant

Thanks for that mili, heading to kaik this weekend so hopefully spear a few there

Miliwolf
    Participant

After reading about large numbers of Ray Bream being caught of Kaikoura I decided to head down there for a fish today.

Got to Kaikoura around 11am, but would not of been on the water until after midday. Conditions were perfect, I launched at Limestone Bay and it was not long before I was into blue water. I tried jigging a few spots closer in for nothing, so started heading further offshore. Caught a couple of Couta trolling. Went further out again, and eventually caught my first ray bream, then another, and another… most drops were getting hit. Must of landed around 9 and kept 6. They are a very soft fish and they easily got damage from the hooks. Would have loved to try and catch more, but that would of meant keeping more something I did not want to do because I never tried them before.

Was a great day out on the water.

<a href="“>

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

elmo22
    Participant

good stuff miliwolf what do they taste like

fishforpot
    Participant

Picked one up on the beach at Spencers a few years ago ….got to it just as the seagulls got it eyes…..cat loved it …didnt try it myself

yellowfin
    Participant

apparently they are great…

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 327 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.