non surf catches

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 327 total)
  • Author
    mulletman
    Participant

dont wana talk bout motunau

elmo22
    Participant

went to north of kaikoura on wednesday fished approx 6hrs in my little boat got bugger all 2 congers,1 dog 1skate 2 reef fish 2crayfish landed in boat lost 2 crays as lifting out of water,,checked my 3 pots thursday morning 3crays went fishing got 1 blue cod 1 skate 2 reef fish fishing was not good at all got more crays on my rod checked pots on firday morning got 4 crays dont bother fishing sea a bit rough and no fish the last few days packed up and came home a very poor few days up there may of been over fished though the xmas hoildays..

magooes
    Participant

Went to kaikoura for the night on staurday, went for a spear just before sharks tooth in south bay, not many sized butterfish around, but had a large eagle ray swim right under me which was something new :eek: . Had another spear by the tunnels today and got 3 large butters. yum yum

yellowfin
    Participant

got a good eel in the avon today right intown near the police station on oxford tce corner oxford and wocester st caught using flax only did it to make a wee kids day who was excited to see them in the water so i used a flax noose that i let the eel swim into past its fins then ripped it tight and it managed to stay in so i could get it to the bank he waqs stoaked and thought i were wicked so that made my day too! was a decent sized eel too over 1m long was about 9 swimming around eating my sausage roll saw a few trout too that also took a liking to the sausage roll. the eelswere even sticking their heads about 10cm out of the water to get food

baitman
    Participant

thats cool!
    I get more of a kick watching the joy my kids get from fishing than catching myself it’s very rewarding.

yellowfin
    Participant

wasnt my kid it was some random one lol and i were bored during my lunch break

Miliwolf
    Participant

Went for a Kayak fish in Okiwi Bay. Launched around 3:30pm, quickly landed three Trevally. Dropped down to a much smaller hook then I normally use for Snapper fishing, and started pulling in Pannie Snapper. 27 in total, but might have miscounted once or twice. Perfect weather. Launched around low tide which was fun. Also fished a workup (got bored of pannies) but caught nothing.

My Kayak fishing totals for this year so far (from memory)… (Trips 4)
    Snapper: 33
    Trevally: 3
    Kahawai: heaps… maybe 12-18

Miliwolf
    Participant

Busy few days, my body is punishing me for it now.

Spent Monday night at French Pass.  Weather was perfect. Went for a evening fish and caught and released a pile of small cod. Got back several hours after dark. Was cool paddling in the phosphorescence and having it light up around my paddle strokes and bow wave.

The sea was flat tuesday morning , but I did not feel like paddling over to the Islands, so fished a point and donated a few jigs to the locals. Had a long fight (got towed around) with something for 4-5 minutes but a couta bit my trace off at the knot.  Went and fished around a mussel farm instead, tried jigging up a dory but caught nothing. Around lunchtime the sea breeze was just picking up but I was bored of France so headed back to Okiwi Bay.  Sea breeze was blowing but died down, perfect day really. Caught a single spottie . That would teach me for fishing the middle of the day. Thought about staying in the Sounds another night, but decided the forecast was to good so heading to  Clifford Bay instead.

[b:1bdw5h30]Wednesday[/b:1bdw5h30]

Arrived at Marfells around 8am. The sea was all but flat when I arrived and it got calmer… I never been able to find the Kelp reefs before and at first I struggled to locate them. I eventually find a large rock covered in kelp off the end of Mussel point and fished that for a while, the current was fast… Managed to pull a good size Bluey out of the kelp there.

Lined up for another drift, then I saw what look like massive amounts of kelp in the distance, thought it could have been a kelp mirage but paddled towards it anyway. Was no mirage… slowly fished my way to the end of the kelp and lost a bit of gear to the kelp… Bottom looked very boring on the Sounder. But started getting a few bites, which were not coutta. Between small cods I got a nice Turkey followed by another… Also saw a good size shark chasing a fish (Blue or School I guess).  A while later a strong fighting fish broke my rig off and  I was  down to 2 sinkers from the ten I started with

Fished, drifted and got snagged in the kelp. Pulled in another good Cod before quickly losing my last two sinkers.  Beautiful weather and calm sea, glad I decided to leave the sounds and gamble on Clifford bay instead.

Tomorrow? <a href="“> or <a href="“> ?

Miliwolf
    Participant

Went over to Nelson today, and before heading home had a evening fish around Pippin island, was high tide and beautiful weather. Probably launched around 4pm if not a little earlier.

Drift fish a point still inside Cable bay but nothing happened so headed over to the outer point. Changed to ledger rigs and quite quickly had a nice Pannie, that was followed by three more. Two of better size. A strayline rig I had forgotten about was grabbed by a monster Kahawai which gave a good fight.

The fishing slowed around dusk and had no bites after dark. Was back on the road and heading home by 8pm.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Kayaked a point in the inner QC sounds this afternoon and evening. Caught a single pannie and small kahawai… Fought something decent for a while which bit/broke me off.. Probably a couta but never gotten one this far in before.

St_Paul
    Participant

I got a big one right off the grove wharf back in October. I’ve heard There’s been some bigger sharks about in the sounds recently.

yellowfin
    Participant

baitman, where did you go to catch that big perch? I tried fishing the lower Halswell river for them (where my old man said they were prolific…..20 years earlier) but saw nothing. Care to lend any tips?

baitman
    Participant

Gday mate that big fella came out of lake hood near ashburton my son in the photo caught it on a weighted black veltec style spinner. This season they have changed the rules so that you can use bait there so a small livey fished deep near dark would get you a monster for sure.

baitman
    Participant

just to add at lake hood where the boats enter the ski lane it is some 7m deep along the side outside the skilane near the road.
    I have also caught them in the out flow of the lake where it enters the ashburton river while looking for trout.

yellowfin
    Participant

Hey mate yeah went for a scout round round at lake hood today, didnt get much fishing in before the boats started tearing up the place but managed a nice 3.5-4lb brown trout on a black and gold. Saw quite a few around that size right up in the shallows not even a metre or so off the bank which was pretty exciting. Hopefully i can get out during the winter season when there are hopefully less boats about to target the perch a bit more…quite keen to land one now!

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 327 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.