Newbie in Kaiapoi, South Island

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I’m Jon and I’ve just move to Kaiapoi all the way from the UK! I’ve had a go at fishing the Waimak a couple of times and also the Kaiapoi but so far no success. I’ve not done much fishing before, but I am enjoying having a go. I’m giving spin fishing a go at the moment with some basic lures. Any hints/tips or general advice, heck, even some encouragement that their are some fish out their to be caught will be very welcome.

Cheers,

Jon

yellowfin
    Participant

Spinning in the surf near any river mouths should produce some Kahawai, especially if a big school comes in. Also if you have a license you can spin for Salmon at places like the Waimak. Most types of spinners should work, heavier ones will be easier to cast a distance.

Most of these spinners here will work for both Kahawai, and Salmon. https://fishingmag.co.nz/salmon-spinners-various.htm

And yes, there are fish around to be caught at this time of the year.

yellowfin
    Participant

yes as zac said you will need a licence to spin for trout and salmon. you can either try at the mouth of the waimak or various other spots along the river. fishing a float with a whole puilchard under it is also a way to catch salmon and kahawai at places like the bmx track and smith st corner if you look on your map of kaiapoi it will be easier to find. apart from the trout and salmon there are really only mullet and kahawai to catch with mullet being the easiest to catch any where in the river

yellowfin
    Participant

Thanks for the replies. I got my licence a couple of months ago, as I intended to do a lot more fishing when I first arrived. Now we are more settled I am starting to get a bit more time for attempting fishing! I shall keep you all posted as to how I get on when I go out later this week! Fingers crossed I catch something as the wife is finding it all too amusing when I return home with nothing!

yellowfin
    Participant

what areas in kaiapoi have you tried?

yellowfin
    Participant

Tried the Waimak by the bridges, and on the Kaiapoi river down by the BMX track. Last night a mate took me up river a bit but neither of us had any luck.

yellowfin
    Participant

ok then. i personally wouldnt spin fish at the bmx track. if you want some good advice go into blackwells and talk to guy called andrew blackwell he will maybe tell you other places to go and what lures etc to use

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.