Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    gunnercoops
    Participant

Hi, yet another poms down here in godzone! I have been here a year and been fishing the beaches at birdlings a bit, the Waimak mouth, and done okish, but I am struggling on the trout side. The Waimak is so big!! I have been trying the river below the gorge with no luck as yet, enjoying the scenery though…any tips and or clues re tactics, ( I am happy with fly or spinner) and where is worth a go would be greatfully recieved….my wife has pointed out that the fishing licence is a waste of money as I dont catch anything…and I need to get another next month!! Hmmmm how to sell that one!!

Great forum, loads of interesting info on here…hopefully will be able to add to the tales of catches as the year goes on.

yellowfin
    Participant

Well I don’t really know much about trout so I can’t help. I find it easier to just fish in the sea and not worry about licenses. In summer there is always kahawai and Yellow Eyed Mullet around that you could target with a spinner or even try SWF.

yellowfin
    Participant

um certian parts of the waimak ashley hurinui seem to be of for trout or even some of the lakes eg coleridge i

yellowfin
    Participant

The next big thing in the trout fishing department here in Canterbury

yellowfin
    Participant

Is it

yellowfin
    Participant

hey booger

yellowfin
    Participant

It is true that many anglers fish for searun trout in the Waimakariri River. However it is also true that only a small percentage regularly catch a fish. You may be surprised to know that some guys get their limit on most days they go out! – Yellowfin

gunnercoops
    Participant

A sea run trout would be very nice. I will definately get down and have a bash at them.

I have just booked a weekend away to Benmore in November….sounds like a good plan to me…now I have to get that licence…although I have had to trade that off with agreeing to pay for Mrs to go on a girls weekend in Hanmer…an expensive hobby this fishing!!

yellowfin
    Participant

Im glad im not married, although if I want to go fishing I go fishing… the gf could always come with me!! :P

For some reason standing shoulder to shoulder with other fishermen trying to catch a sea run at the waimak does really do it for me. Much rather have a crack at a trout in more peaceful surroundings! Nice back country river sounds more like it!

yellowfin
    Participant

while sea run trout fishing ur not so much standing shoulder to shoulder thats more so the salmon fisherman at the mouth up the river by the motorway bridges i

gunnercoops
    Participant

I tried the mouth of the Halswell yesterday, as I had been told of big trout….bloody awful there! As soon as the sun came up I was covered in flys…completely covered, as was the car…the water seemed really low there, not a sign of any fish. The flies drove me off pretty quick. They looked likes big mossies but didnt bite thankfully!

Yet another futile trip!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.