new to fishing

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    lisa
    Participant

Hi i love fishing but i need help!!! im not sure of what hooks or bait to use while surf casting. im wanting to catch kahawai at the clive river mouth in napier can any1 give me some good advice.. thank you

yellowfin
    Participant

Personally I’d use a 4/0 or 3/0 hook – either a circle or mutsu style hook would make them easier to catch though a beak style hook might be a more sporting choice. I’d use bonito for bait, though I’m sure many other baits will work well enough.
    If you’re lure fishing you could use a hex ticer lure of around 30-50g, though if I did it here in Christchurch during the salmon season without a licence I’d probably get fined by Fish & Game. Some guys fish for kahawai with saltwater fly fishing gear.

Miliwolf
    Participant

They have no rights to fine you booger if you are targeting KY, I suspect all but the most incompetent lawyers would leave F&G extremely embarrassed.

Getting back on topic, all of the gear booger suggested would work well. They seem to take most baits.

ciliaris
    Participant

If your chasing kahawai its great (if you can) to have two rods on the go. Bait one up as suggested above and then throw hex lures around with the other one and retrieve fast! Kahawai love fast lures and while they will hit anything in the right mood a fast retrieve gets the picky ones a bit more fired up. Thing is they are usually surface to midwater fish so bait fishing on the bottom can miss them entirely. If you fish two rods not only is it covering both bases it’s also more fun!

lisa
    Participant

Awsome thanks guys ill let you know how i get on.. 1 more question is it always good fishing the day after a full moon?? how does that work?

yellowfin
    Participant

Any day is a good day for fishing, if you get what I mean :lol:

yellowfin
    Participant

The moon is just one factor, not sure how much difference it makes for daytime fishing, if any. There are other factors like the tides, and the clarity of the water to consider – an incoming tide with clear or slightly coloured water should be good.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Most people seem to claim that the time around a full moon is bad fishing. I did read a scientific paper a few months ago which found that numbers of Kahawai, Snapper and Rig peaked during a New Moon.

In general the Moon is only one factor which I take into consideration. A new moon with a high tide just after dark is ideal fishing conditions in my opinion. I also like a gentle offshore wind with overcast conditions.

Wilderness
    Participant

Lisa i know the area you area looking at fishing very well, to be honest the hoamoana mouth would be more productive. Pilles are the go in ether place. you could float a whole pilchard on a running or pully rig. about 750mm is a good distance. or you can cut your pillie in half fishing a 2 hook ledger rig. get as close to the mouth as possible and fish the sweepers that run around the corners as these push the fish through behind the white bait.

other good areas…

esk river mouth….. via le quanne rd or north chore

clifton motor camp for snapper and further toward starvation reef.

whirinaki reef, good snapper this time of year.

town reef for moki is fun too.

good luck eh!

yellowfin
    Participant

well reading my fishing calendar which has the maori fishing on it and the moon things apparently its the day after a full moon or new mnoon which is apparent excellent fishing. personally to catch ky id use pillie on a 4/0 or 5/0 hook just use the kinda tail section with a bait of about 4 or 5cm is how i seem to catch most of my ky

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.