new season 15-16

Posted By croozer On With 0 Comments

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Allan Burgess 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

croozer
    Participant

Hey fisho’s,
    I know its early, but just had to go for a fish. Went down between Rakaia mouth and Lake Ellesmere for a surfcast. Nice fresh TuaTua’s and cooked prawns for bait. Sea was lumpy and dis-coloured, so looked good for an early season rig. First bait out, bang, bit of a fight then landed what I thought was a small rig. Turned out to be one of the largest dogs Ive ever seen. Bugger. Three more large dogs over the next 2 hrs and no real hits, but good to be out and taste salt air again. Good luck for the up coming season.

Allan Burgess
    Keymaster

I remember a few years back there were so many dogfish along there over winter they would take the bait no matter what you did to stop them. I tried a couple of big hooks once and they still managed to hook themselves. Still I have had home-made dog-fish and chips quite a few times!

yellowfin
    Participant

Logged back in for the first time in along time, figured id post something

Spent 2 weeks up in Nelson start of this year and did a fair bit of surfcasting managed to get a few Snapper and alot of rays (annoying), few rig and kahawai etc too. It wasnt really active but managed to enjoy myself up there, really great beaches for fishing. Came back to chch and went out to Birdlings with my old man and we hooked a couple large school sharks and a conger eel, all was returned. Went out friday night with my old man, brother and a mate out to black rock but real slow fishing. Hooked a nice 60cm kahawai early on with some prawn but after that we had nothing happening at all really, just a couple doggies so called it quits early morning. Was hoping to head out today for an afternoon fish for that easterly pretty much put that to bed, pretty rough conditions up the coast. Hopefully ill get out a bit more and post some more updates

Allan Burgess
    Keymaster

You did do well catching the snapper. I have done most of my surfcasting and sea fishing in Canterbury, Otago, Southland and Fiordland. Twenty odd years ago I regularly went surfcasting at Birdlings Flat on average about twice a month. Only more recently have I been doing more surfcasting in Marlborough and Nelson. The thing that stands out to me is just how different the the top of the South Island is to Canterbury in terms of fish species you can catch. The kahawai fishing in Canterbury, and other places, has improved considerably in the last few years. In Nelson, and the Sounds, it isn’t unusual to catch 10 different species while fishing from shore during a single trip to the beach!
    The beaches in Nelson are shallower than what we are used to in Canterbury. The water is also cleaner I think. You can get snapper in surprisingly shallow water.

yellowfin
    Participant

yeah they are quite shallow but yes the snapper do come in surprising in very shallow water, I tend to find its better at dusk into darkness still though as I mostly find the snapper stay out a little further during daytime at beaches anyway. However I have got snapper during daytime off rocks in Kenepuru Sounds but again always found it better at night time still.

They do have a good range of fish up that way, still would love to hook and land a kingi but think I need to really target them properly off somewhere such as Boulder Bank with a livebait kahawai. I hooked a kingi off my kayak a couple years ago just out by fireshire rock (however its spelt) which is just out from Tahunanui beach or just off rocks rd there so they come in very close. Ive also heard of kingis getting hooked at back beach with just squid, its a nice relaxing place anyway.

Id like to mix up my catch more frequently so ive started using different baits alot more to increase my chances and see what they are feeding on, seems to change a bit depending on time of year as this year I got no snapper at all on squid (usually they seem to like squid) but this year they were only interested in pilchards and didnt catch a single one on squid. Prawns etc were doing the job for the rig and mussells got a few things too.

Allan Burgess
    Keymaster

A couple of us were surfcasting over in the Sounds recently. A young bloke fishing next to me caught a snapper weighing about 3kg at dead low tide – late afternoon. Prior to that we had been catching and releasing under-sized kahawai. Things went quiet for at least an hour when suddenly the snapper hit his squid bait. There were four rods out at the time and nothing was happening! We were using a variety of baits: mackerel, mullet, and squid. I guess you just have to be ready and regularly change your bait. You never know when a good snapper can just appear in the most unlikely places and situations, regardless of tide and water depth!

yellowfin
    Participant

Spent long weekend up in Nelson and got out surfcasting for 2 nights and picked up 4 Snapper. Always a bit of fun

nothing big, just mid 40’s

Allan Burgess
    Keymaster

Well done on the snapper. I’m sure most surfcasters from Canterbury may feel that snapper are very hard to catch. Have you any simply advice on baits, rigs, or where to fish in Nelson? Here are a couple of pictures of snapper from the Marlborough Sounds. You get quite a few like the smaller one shown here that was way too small and released. It took a mussel bait. But you also get some bigger ones surfcasting. The bigger one was taken on squid.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members