New Member “Introduction”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Fly guy
    Participant

Hiya gang

Thought I would introduce myself to the board, I am a pomme yes sorry I know! not my fault. Moved to NZ / Kaiapoi 2 years ago now with my wife son 4 and our new addition 4 month old daughter. We absolutely love it here its the best thing we ever did, getting away from the UK.

Ive been fishing for around 20 years now started with course fishing, then progressed to sea fishing, which Ive been doing for the last 12 years, mainly surf casting and some boat fishing. Just got into fly fishing over the past 3 weeks.

I’m after getting back into the fishing now things have settled down at home. Been looking into getting out surf casting pretty soon but need to find out some more info on areas / baits /

Miliwolf
    Participant

I use rods from 6ft to around 14ft while fishing from a surf beach. I believe the advantage of the taller rods is that they allow for potentially longer casts and keep the line above the surf for a greater distance. Quite a few fish feed relatively close to shore so a large casting distance is not always essential.

Most types of bait would catch something if you use it for long enough. I personally like prawn, crab when targeting rig, and squid or pilchard for everything elese. From time to time I use other baits…

yellowfin
    Participant

Hey fly guy im Greg and also live in kaiapoi and have done for 20 years

Sevengillz
    Participant

Welcome Fly Guy ;)

For info on surfcasting,you have come to the right place! :D

Fly guy
    Participant

Cheers for the replies, some useful info there. Not been out surfcasting yet, been trying some fly fishing which I have never done before(TO BLOODY EXPENSIVE IN THE UK)

Im missing the surfcasting so its about time I got out there. Gonna plan a trip to Ambereley next weekend I think, better warn the wife!

In the UK 90% of my fishing was at night I suppose the same applies here for better catches? Is there a recommended spot to fish at ambereley?

Cheers

Daz

yellowfin
    Participant

um not really its just a beach like most others although where the car park is is ok then you dont need to walk to far or just any spot to the north that you can get downthe the beach i guess.yes night fishing at amberly is far better at night like alot of areas during the day its quite often dead but once it gets dark its alot better may be alot of doggies around though where do you fly fish?

Fly guy
    Participant

The fiery ginga

yellowfin
    Participant

yes 3 streams isnt too bad not alot of deecnt fish there though alot of babys

yellowfin
    Participant

ill proberbly be going to the mouth of the waimak tomorrow to try get a kaiwhai or 2 and maybe some mullet for shark bait

Fly guy
    Participant

Not tried any course fishing, dont think I ever will again, I mainly targeted carp in the UK but have’nt done it for many years.

Might take my son to the bmx track today if the weather holds out, bought him a little rod & reel set try and get some mullet for bait.

yellowfin
    Participant

ok i went up behind the borough school today and had a couple fishing acrossfrom me they sounded english. maybe it was you they had 2 kids with them that looked about 4 and a baby to??

Fly guy
    Participant

I was fishing to the far right of the bmx track past a picnic table? did have my lad with me, and the misses turned up for 30mins with the baby. Caught about 20 mullet and what I think is a herring? had some gold colour spots down its side. All now in the frezzer for hopefully a trip next weekend.

yellowfin
    Participant

oh no i was in a different place up the river further i got about 60 mullet and a few smelt. no it was a kaiwhai that other fish you got. i usually fish before that picnic table in that little bay kinda area with that big tree iover it or

Fly guy
    Participant

Only 60 bugger :P :P :D

I didnt have small enough hooks to be honest, just used what
    I found in my box.

yellowfin
    Participant

i dont use overly small hooks either really

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.