Nape Nape Contest – South Island Surfcasting Champs

Viewing 12 posts - 61 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    elmo22
    Participant

forgot to say u get a section of the beach 20metres and there are 4 rods per section, so you can have lots of rods all around you,so you can buy as many spots as u can handle at $20.00 per rod not $20.00 for a 20metre section, if its rough like last year one rods enough as some learners not have the right sinker and they roll down the beach.. hope this helps

yellowfin
    Participant

If it’s $20 per rod entry, then I’ll probably just fish one rod. Not really worth paying $40 considering the petrol money and other costs of getting there. Hope the weather is alright though, but it’s looking like North Easterlies for the whole week, and no westerlies to flatten the sea out.

yellowfin
    Participant

the way i just saw it is nw tomorrow and sat a lil bit of nnw and n in there nw sunday morning the swing sound to the Se sunday miday ish then ssw
    that was at the hurinui mouth at least swell is now lookin to be about 1.1ish

St_Paul
    Participant

Northerly gale for sea area conway, would recommend having a look at the water before forking out your $$ based on previous experience

yellowfin
    Participant

well swell map are looking at 10knts at this stage

yellowfin
    Participant

Sunday:
    Max: 22°C (Day)
    Few showers, chance thunder. Light winds.

Marine Weather:
    Sunday 12PM
    Wind Direction: NW
    Wind Speed: 9kts
    Shoreline Wave Height: 0.80m
    Ocean Swell Height: 0.40m
    Wind Chop Height: 0.40m
    Swell Direction: East
    Swell Period: 8 seconds

Still not sure if I’ll go up or not, but if it’s too rough, might stay for a bit and see if anything’s caught, then head back and fish at the pier for a bit.

yellowfin
    Participant

So how’d it go today?

yellowfin
    Participant

Couple Congers caught, biggest one caught got second, first place was a Rig I think, and other prizes went to Schoolies/Dogfish. They had quite a few prizes to hand out, nothing that great though, just reels/rods and tackle. Since I’d never been there before I let the guy at registration pick a spot, so he put me at 59 which is pretty much right in the middle. Realized just before I got there that I had forgot my rod spike. Got snagged on something that wouldn’t budge 3 times, and lost 3 traces/weights. I tried in all the area I was allocated, but still got snagged on the same thing. So gave up around 12 PM as I only had one weight left. Was also fairly rough conditions, but still fishable. Took about 2 hours to get there from Ashburton in the morning with pretty much no traffic on the road, and just over 2 hours to get back. Pretty good since Google Maps seems to think it takes just over 3 hours.

elmo22
    Participant

we went to the comp, as zac said it was a bit rough, i caught a 3kg grey boy and got 5th prize a reel, the wife with 15years beginners luck got 9th and 11th prize a three piece surf rod and a trout trolling rod, said would of got either 2nd or 3rd as she caught a skate and i went out in the water a help pull the line in as it was right up nearly out of the water and when i pulled the line of it came,looked and felt approx 4-5kg, i should of gaff it,she was not a happy fisher.. but looking 4ward to the little river one have made a new gaff a work today lol

yellowfin
    Participant

I was looking at getting a gaff as well. All you really need is the hook bit, or just buy a cheap smaller gaff from the warehouse, and just take the hook bit off and extend it with a longer handle. I was wondering if anyone had caught any skate though, didn’t see anything caught where I was.

elmo22
    Participant

no other skates were caught or weigh in normally there r a few caught other years a they get prizes

Miliwolf
    Participant

Gaffs are only any good if you plan on keeping the fish.

Here is a little trick, go into a boating store and purchase a extendable boat hook, these are normally lightweight and fairly strong. Probably made out of Aluminum and should be quite cheap. Now cut off the hook end, and get a Gaff and connect it onto the pole. That way you get a inexpensive extendable gaff :)

Viewing 12 posts - 61 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.