My Favourite Headlamps

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

I really like headlamps, and probably spend slightly to much time researching them. My first headlamp many years ago was a Petzl Zoom, that got stolen or lost, its replacement was a decent enough offering from Kathmandu and it served me well for many years. Headlamps are not sophisticated technology, they are just a torch which gets strapped onto your head so most of them are decent and do a good enough job, but like most things in life there are compromises to be had, and same offer more features for the dollar spent then others. While I have not used a lot of headlamps, I have spent more then a little time researching and comparing them so have a better then average knowledge of whats currently on the market. A headlamp is one item which I consider nearly essential for night fishing, when baiting hooks, landing fish or even scrambling over slippery rocks it is good to have both hands free.

My choice for a compact, lightweight headlamp is none other then the [b:1yim41s5]Zebra Light[/b:1yim41s5], Zebra makes around 22 headlamps, but they all have much in common. They are very small and are powered by a single AA battery (or CR123 Battery) and many of the models are very powerful, same of them even produce 220 lumens. That is more powerful then many full size headlamps! The combination of the light weight and quality strap make the Zebra Light very comfortable to wear and its my first choice if I want to read at night. The compact size means its small enough to fit in the pocket for a emergency light. They also offer IPX8 waterproof rating which is useful in a fishing light. One last bonus is the glow in the dark plastic things on the strap which make the headlamp easy to locate in the dark. Now, there are a few negatives, the zebra light is so small and compact that it can be covered by a long fringe, and its beam is quite flood making it not very useful for distance works, but I still happily recommended the Zebra Light. They sell for $64USD with free shipping.

I also notice on their site a couple of high power zebra lights, they claim to offer a massive 750 lumens, this powerful option sells for $89USD and chances are I would have one to play with in a few days :P .

Not everyone has $64USD to spend on a headlamp, so another favorite is the cheap Chinese made headlamps from [b:1yim41s5]Dealextreme[/b:1yim41s5], in particular the ones using Cree Leds which are energy efficient and powerful. There are dozens of headlamps on that site and they are surprisingly well made with most selling for less then $15US, which includes international freight. Most of the Cree Headlamps can produce up to 150 Lumens which is impressive considering the very low price. I would briefly discuss one last option from deal extreme, these are the cycle headlamps, they are powerful. Same even producing over 900 lumens, they are more expensive ($80USD) and prone to overheating when standing still but imagine the possibilities.

Now its time to discuss my favorite fishing headlamp, it offers a great combination of long battery life, brightness with good build quality. It is the [b:1yim41s5]Fenix HP10[/b:1yim41s5], which is no longer made, so would look at the Fenix HP11 instead. They retail for only $99, uses four AA batteries and can produce up to 277 lumens. It has a powerful throw beam with enough flood to be useful, and current models are supplied with a useful diffuser lens for close up work. With a IPX-6 waterproof rating they are safe to use with wet fishy hands. A excellent headlamp for a very reasonable price.

And so finsishes the second topic of my summer series of slightly informative posts on tackle and general fishing accessories. They came complete with numerous spelling, grammar and syntax mistakes for no extra cost.

yellowfin
    Participant

i too have the fenix hp10and find it very good has a very long range of 100m+ i believe very hand when at the beach when trying to locate your fish in the wash if its a wee way away

yellowfin
    Participant

Think mines a hp11, better than the cheap led ones you can get. Cost $99 new I think.

Miliwolf
    Participant

If it was not on backorder, a Zebra Light H600 would have been ordered by now :ugeek:

http://www.zebralight.com/H600-Cree-XM-L-750Lm-Headlamp-18650_p_72.html

zac

St_Paul
    Participant

I’ve been using a black diamond Icon for the last 5 years. Was pretty expensive but has been a great asset in most situations. Next time I have to replace it I’ll get a fenix one.

Miliwolf
    Participant

The 2012 version of the Black Diamond Icon headlamp actually looks quite competitive, Have not been able to find it stocked in New Zealand so can not offer a price, but suspect it would be around $189 if it gets here. It offers 200 lumens which is decent, IPX7 waterproof standard, a red LED to preserve night vision (which could be useful for fishing). Plus the ability to lock the on switch to prevent it from being turned on accidentally.

If it was priced comparably to the Fenix I would probably get it for fishing despite the weaker max beam. But I doubt that would be the case.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The cree headlamps are awesome, I brought one off trademe for less than $20.. 300 lumens, has strobe and spotlight also (best headlamp I have owned)

St_Paul
    Participant

Miliwolf

Miliwolf
    Participant

I also discovered that the 2012 Black Diamond Icon is almost identical to the Princon tec apex 200, but from my quick research the main difference is that th PT uses a 2 button design while the BD uses a single button.

Have currently lost my Fenix, so might order a PT Apex 200 just in case.

Used my Zebra light tonight surfcasting, its been a while. Had flat batteries to begin with but was most impressed with the brightness when I dropped a new battery end. Forgotten how good it was, amazing little torch, the flood was bright enough to light up all of the reflective tapes on my rods at once which was spaced maybe 10m apart… Its no good for distance, but its excellent for close and medium distance lightening. Fairly certain my fenix could not have done that. (Still prefer the fenix for surfcasting).

Miliwolf
    Participant

Just discovered another headlamp which is certainly worth a look, the Spark ST6 500CW. It has a boost mode of 500 lumens with quite a nice beam, combination of both flood and throw.

https://www.ledtorchshop.com.au/product … 500-lumen-

Not a bad price either.

St_Paul
    Participant

Have just replaced my old black diamond icon headlamp (2003 version) with the new 2012 version after it took a swim for a bit longer than its ipx4 rating.

The 2012 icon is an awesome bit of kit, great battery life and an ipx7 rating (1 hr at 1 meter) super bright, 1 switch operation for all modes. Have been out playing in the dark and it is very bright. 200 lumen spotlight is very bright. clear beam to 100 meters.
    Red light will be great for next springs snapper missions.

Hey St_Paul you’re in Picton? Im “woofing” at Atlantis Backpackers for 3mnths,come down from palmy Nth,would you know anybody thats going out for a bit of fishing in the next few days that wouldnt mind me tagging along? Im STILL after a decent fish!!!!

yellowfin
    Participant

Miliwolf

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.