My Favourite fishing hooks.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

Time for the ummm third edition of my summer series of tackle posts.

This one is on my favorite hooks. I have used many different brands, and often their is not much between them. But I have a preference towards a few hook brands. I basically judge hooks by several criteria and they are Sharpness, Rust Resistance, Strength and price.

[b:3q1zy6ms]Favorite Moki Hook:[/b:3q1zy6ms]. Moki can be caught on a range of hook sizes, the smaller Moki which are commonly caught around the Kaikoura Wharf really require a tiny hook. Such small hooks can also take Butterfish as bi-catch. Large Moki, have a larger mouth so they can easily eat a bigger hook. My first preference is the [b:3q1zy6ms]2/0 Mustad Demon Circle Hook[/b:3q1zy6ms]. This hook is constructed from light gauge hi-carbon steel. This small hook is easy to thread through a small piece of bait and the light weight should allow the bait to wash around in the current a little more.

When targeting bigger Moki my primary hook is the [b:3q1zy6ms]4/0 Owner SSW Cutting point hook[/b:3q1zy6ms] , this is a very strong, very sharp hook. The gauge is slightly thicker then that of the Mustad Demon Circle but I feel its a better all round hook. This hook is large enough to present a whole medium size mussel, while being small enough to be easily taken by a legal size Moki

[b:3q1zy6ms]Favorite Rig Hook[/b:3q1zy6ms]. Rigs have big mouths, and they mainly eat crabs so are use to crunching up sharp objects. My chosen hook is the 4/0 Owner SSW Cutting point hook. Its threads neatly into the belly of a paddle crab and the circle design nearly always finds the corner of the Rigs mouth. The hook is strong enough to handle the powerful jaws of a Rig, although if enough pressure is applied with pliers it snaps rather then bends.

[b:3q1zy6ms]Favorite Shark Hook[/b:3q1zy6ms] I have used quite a few different brands, and I do not have a clear preference. When not in competition I normally go for a [b:3q1zy6ms]8/0 circle hook from the likes of Black magic, Kumho or VMC.[/b:3q1zy6ms] A 8/0 hook allows plenty of barb to be exposed allowing for a clean hookup. I do things a little differently when fishing in a Surfcasting contest, I go for two 4/0 Owner SSW Cutting point hook. The smaller hooks are fiddler to present nicely, and are more prone to be swallowed but that is not really a problem when keeping fish. The smaller hooks might also be less obvious to a wary fish.

[b:3q1zy6ms]Favorite Snapper Hook[/b:3q1zy6ms] I now mainly use one of either three hooks, one is the [b:3q1zy6ms]8/0 Mustad Demon Point Circle Hook[/b:3q1zy6ms], this moderately priced hook is lighter gauge allowing for a thinner point to improve penetration into the hard mouth of a large Snapper. A slightly larger and thicker hook is the [b:3q1zy6ms]Kumho 8/0 Circle,[/b:3q1zy6ms] this hook is inexpensive so good to fish over foul ground when losing gear is common. I never had one of these hooks bend, break or fail on me and their rust resistant is as good as any hook I have used. When targeting Pannies in the likes of Tasman Bay I use a 4/0 Owner SSW Cutting point hook. I have already discussed this hook several times but it fits nicely into the back of a anchovy and is a good size for Pannie snapper and Trevally. I avoid using it for larger Snapper because they are prone to swallowing baits and I suspect a smaller hook would get swallowed more often then a larger one.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.