Mullet Tactics

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Jones Jr.
    Participant

Places to fish, you now from my other comments.

I’d use a 1 or 2 ounce sinker in a standard ledger rig configurations. In the Kaiapoi you could use 3 x 1/0 hooks and get mullet. Or go the next size smaller re hooks.

For bait you could collect cockles from the eastuary at low tide, look for a big area of cockle shells on the surface. Dig below them and you should find heaps of cockles. I’d do this out infront of Caspian St, you may have to walk a bit to the left (along the southshore spit) and out into the eastuary more to find them at low tide.

The area just infront of Main Rd (sort’ve where Rangatira Tce comes down) on the other side of the eastuary is where you can dig for sea worms. You might see patches of sand etc that have been dug up by others there, dig around those areas at low tide. Apparently the best mullet bait you can get.

You could also buy live mussles from the supermarket, they seem fairly cheap and work for bait.

Another place to fish for mullet is on Main Rd (where Cliffs St comes down), there are small jetties there next to a yacht club. You can catch mullet there.

I think the good thing about Fishing in rivers for mullet is you don’t get spotties or dogfish or other annoying tiddlers that can constantly steel your bait. Just into river mouths seems to be the domain of the mullet.

Cheers
    Aaron

yellowfin
    Participant

To catch mullet I use the same rigs I use any were else, well except if I was going for sharks. In my opiniun there is little point in actually ‘targeting’ your fish species in Canterbury, if I catch a fish im happy.

yellowfin
    Participant

I usually use the same sort of ledger rig with 2 or 3 hooks to catch whatever happens to be arround such as school sharks, elephant fish, rig, and kahawai. For mullet I always use smaller hooks though.

yellowfin
    Participant

Cheers for the tips JJ – exactly what I was looking for! Will get onto Google Earth and check those spots out.

yellowfin
    Participant

I tried looking along the coastline near me with google earth but the whole area around Ashburton is really blurry. I bit further north and south it works fine

St_Paul
    Participant

I’ve caught a lot of Mullet using a bubble, small hooks and split shot on the trace.

good fun too watching the bubble get pulled under and dragged around.

Jones Jr.
    Participant

Hey Wiz

I think you were asking about Tua Tua’s somewhere. They would be good bait.

You go down to the very end of Rocking Horse Rd (Southshore Spit). Go out to the beach at low tide and look for areas of green weed on the surface which looks like it’s stuck to the sand. Dig right there and typically you’ll find Tua Tua’s. One year I found hardly any for some unknown reason but apart from that I’ve always found them.

I’ve never really seen the at New Brighton Beach. There might be beds of Tua Tua at certain areas but I used to live down the end of Southshore and that’s where I always found them.

Cheers
    Aaron

yellowfin
    Participant

another way of getting them is

yellowfin
    Participant

tua tua also make good surfcasting bait when tied onto the hook with bait elastic

yellowfin
    Participant

Do yellow-eyed mullet eat yellow-eyed mullet bait? That would be convenient and cheap..

yellowfin
    Participant

yup they certinaly do

SEAWORMS ARE THE KILLER BAIT FOR MULLET

well people nothing beats seaqworms for catching herrings / mullet within seconds after casting your bait will be nailed. sea worms are available from the esturary. the road before redcliffs on low tide grab a fork aqnd dig where there are holes like yabbie holes .

well nothing beat seaworms its like kfc to a homeless man

yellowfin
    Participant

The fiery ginga

yellowfin
    Participant

Yellow Eyed Mullet

yellowfin
    Participant

zac

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.