Mullet Tactics

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

So, frozen fish is bloody expensive and I want to catch me some bait to save a few $$$’s.

yellowfin
    Participant

kaiapoi river anytime any bait any spot

yellowfin
    Participant

The fiery ginga

yellowfin
    Participant

Well you can buy premade Sabiki rigs at most tackle stores and they work well with mullet. Most baits seem to work fine for them as they will eat almost anything. Kahawai also make good bait and you can catch them on

yellowfin
    Participant

yea pretty much ae

yellowfin
    Participant

Sweet as!

yellowfin
    Participant

usually for catching mullet in the kaiapoi ill use about a 6ft rod with 8-10lb line a 1 ounce

yellowfin
    Participant

You dont need to spin. They are just like a ledger rig just with more hooks, usually about 6 . I have used trout hooks as small as size 16 for mullet but I don’t think I would go below size 10 since the mullet come off the hook easier if it is smaller. 1/0 hooks would probably suit if there are bigger mullet around, but HEAD has said he uses 3/0 hooks for the Giant Mullet he gets.

yellowfin
    Participant

you can jig them or leave them stationary and bait does help but is not always necessary a a mullet of 500g + even 1kg mullt are quite fun when uve only got a small rod they actually can fight quite well

yellowfin
    Participant

zac

yellowfin
    Participant

I suppose I should say [user=1984]The fiery ginga[/user]

yellowfin
    Participant

yea should hav but i get called the fiery ginga at work so lol

yellowfin
    Participant

The fiery ginga

yellowfin
    Participant

nah they are good for bait but i dont really like using them that much unless they are like caught and then used for bait while the fillets are pretty much still quivering lol some of the mullet in the kaiapoi are actually big enough to eat and

yellowfin
    Participant

during the summer you could quite easilly catch 2 dozn mullet over the space of an hour or 2

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.