Mullet Fishing – Are there any left?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I was thinking about going to Kaiapoi to catch some yellow-eyed mullet. From what I heard, they’re the best bait for Red Cod… So, is the Kaipoi River worth a try? Or I’m not gonna find any fish at this time of the year?

Thanks a lot

Paulo

yellowfin
    Participant

I went fishing for mullet a week ago at McIntoshes Rocks near the Kaiapoi River mouth. I was using yabbies that I had caught with the bait pump down at the beach a little earlier. I tried for about an hour but didn’t even get one. I didn’t see any either. Usually a live wriggling yabbie is taken by mullet fairly quickly – if they are present. It was getting cold and late with the tide only half in. I note that people are setting nets in the lower river but they have always done this. Schools of mullet move up and down with the tide. When they are there you can quickly catch heaps. :)

Jones Jr.
    Participant

Not sure about others but I’ve found I don’t catch any mullet in winter, they seem to disappear and come back in August or September.

Maybe I haven’t been out enough, should they be there in winter?

Cheers
    Aaron

Miliwolf
    Participant

I have caught the occasional mullet fly fishing in the Wairau during the winter last year….. BY occasional I mean 1 mullet every couple of trips.

rdeejay
    Participant

I haven’t had any luck in the avon across from home lately, caught heaps during the warmer months but lately just nothing.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oh well… Should’ve caught them and stored them during summer….
    Thanks guys

gunnercoops
    Participant

seem to remember catching mullet at Kairaki most winter nights we went down there last year.

fishsnatcher
    Participant

I saw a few mullet down at Taieri mouth when I was spinning, not huge numbers but they were there, lost a couple that took my spinner.

yellowfin
    Participant

I think once the whitebait start turning up in a month or 2. Then the mullet will come with them.
    As will all the other fish and I’ll spend hours at the beach!!! I cant wait!!!!!!

yellowfin
    Participant

I can’t really remember if I’ve had any success with mullet over winter. They seem to be around at most times of the year, but maybe dissapear for a couple months over winter. But like with some other species, like Kahawai, there will still be the odd one about in certain places. I do remember catching them around September last year, so you might have to wait till then.

Participant

Have fished waimak 3 sumner 2 lyttelton 2 1n last 3weeks chasing flounder on rod,small hook useing worm,sea worm etc havent had to much luck to be honest and have only caught 1mullet no flounder or sole or any other fish …….

yellowfin
    Participant

I’ve seen flounder caught off the Pier before, and one I caught myself was just on a standard mullet trace with some small size 10 Trout hooks and a small peice of fish for bait. Never tried using corn or anything, but I suppose that could work.

yellowfin
    Participant

Has anyone tried fishing down the ashley river mouth???

We take the flounder net down there sometimes at low tide. Plenty of flounder. And theres always schools of small mullet down there.

elmo22
    Participant

my mate went to the kaiapoi on tuesday for herrings and he got nothing, not a bite , was there for about an hour

Participant

i wouldnt touch any fish caught from the ashley river as there is a toxic algae Phormidium in there very dangerous for animals also,

check fish game website for info

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.