Mullet and Akaroa

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

It seems to be that yellow eyed mullet is a good bait to use!

Just woundering where a good place around Chch to catch them would be, I’m thinking the Brighton Pier. And what bait to use to catch them? I hear Chicken heart coming across often, is that becasue it’s cheap and readily available? What about Tuatua?

And can you catch them in winter? If I was doing some red cod fishing in winter would it be best to stock up now and put some in the freezer or can they be caught in winter?

Also re Akaroa. Has anyone had much experiance fishing there? Off the main wharf, has anyone had good catches of cod? I have heard of people catching red cod at the wharf near Duvauchelle, you go along a shingle road towards the Onawe Peninsula and it’s on the side of the road there.

Would be great to hear some thoughts or experiances.

Cheers

Aaron

yellowfin
    Participant

For the mullet the best and easiest place to catch them is the new brighton peir. I usually fish a home made 6 hook sabiki rig with size 10 trout hooks and chicken heart. The premade sabikis that you can buy at any fishing shop also work good.I have found any hearts work the best for yellow eyed mullet like sheep, ox, and chicken hearts. But mullet will take any reguler bait like squid or bonito.

yellowfin
    Participant

Sounds good Zac, thanks.

Do you think it’s ok to freeze them then use in winter? I have a feeling the mullet aren’t around in winter??

I actually caught a few mullet on a 10 gram z spinner while fishing at the mouth of the Opihi about a month ago, they were actually fairly sized! But put them back. Only had my trout rod with me and thought I’d try my luck at a salmon, but tackle too light really.

Looking forward to getting some red cod this winter, some say they aren’t the best fish etc but I’m sure one could produce something out of them. And they produce nice big bites on your rod which are fun! I think a combination of mullet and Tuatua on a hook would be great cod bait!

Cheers
    Aaron

yellowfin
    Participant

Yellow eyed

yellowfin
    Participant

Can you catch mullet in winter at the pier?

What you’ve suggested re freezing them sounds right. Thanks…:cool:

I like the idea of Akaroa because it would seem to be sheltered, I just haven’t heard much for a while what you can catch there. I believe people used to get lots of cod there.

Cheers
    Aaron

yellowfin
    Participant

Im not sure about catching mullet at the peir in winter because i only started fishing there late last winter and i never targeted them. But i think it is possible to catch them in winter. And i have heard from people that Akaroa is a good place to fish and you can catch a variety of species especially in Summer

yellowfin
    Participant

Cool, thanks for your input.

I’m not sure about winter either, from what I remember I’ve never really caught them in winter. Always summer, don’t think I’ve targeted them in winter though so don’t really know.

I’ve always fished for red cod in the dead of winter, seems to be the best time for them. But must admit to hearing of red cod caught at other times of the year in Akaroa harbour, mind you not recently.

Fished at the pier one night in winter a few years back and got some great big red cod. Heaps of fun.

Cheers
    Aaron

yellowfin
    Participant

Yeah some realy good red cod can be caught in Winter. And i thought it was weird but i went up to timaru a couple of times right around christams time and i was catching loads of red cod. None of them were huge but there were a couple of good size ones. Anyway i went back a couple of times after that they had gone.

yellowfin
    Participant

I remember fishing at the Cashin Quay wharf at Lyttleton when it used to be open, in the summer. Used to get lots of little red cod, but none of the big ones. The big ones are winter fish I think.

Don’t think I’d fish at Lyttleton though for fish to eat, Akaroa should be ok though.

Cheers
    Aaron

yellowfin
    Participant

the

yellowfin
    Participant

as for the akaroa wharf about 2 years ago i had a good day there catching mayb half a dozen red cod along with 2 skate one

yellowfin
    Participant

Thanks for the info HEAD.

Might go for one last bait fish at the Kaiapoi before I head off to Akaroa.

Atleast I’m not going to get dogfish in the river one would think, a good supply of mullet would be good.

Question, do herrings have the yellow tinge in their eye like the yellow eyed mullet do?

Cheers
    Aaron

yellowfin
    Participant

well pretty much as far as i know herring is

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.