Modifying rods for Alvey reels

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

A question for Allan or anyone else in the know – I’m going to have a go at customising at least one of my rods so they work better with alvey reels – currently I only fold down the first guide on a rod when using an alvey reel.

I plan to start with a higher up first guide of 5cm, but am wondering if there’s any advantage to replacing any of the guides after the first one with bigger guides?

I’m debating whether or not to add a lower reel mount – I’m not convinced it will make much difference but might try it on one of my cheaper rods anyway – the disadvantages I can see here is that I’ll have to modify the rod holder so there’s a gap for the reel to pass through, and it might be uncomfortable without one of those bucket belts.

St_Paul
    Participant

alvey reels generally work far better on a low mount, another option might be to see if you can find a sliding reel seat so you an cast in low position and move it up for fishing.
    have a look here http://www.alvey.com.au/default.asp?contentID=512 for details on how alvey recommends setting up rods, has a pretty good diagram of where each guide should be placed. Ross at new brighton sports can also help with info on alvey reels/rods and can rebuild existing rods.

yellowfin
    Participant

Thanks Paul. I might call Ross but I’m a bit of a DIY guy. I’m thinking I might buy a bind-on reel seat and some large guides so I can experiment with various rods of mine – I guess everything could just be taped on while testing – the guides could just go on the opposite side to the existing ones while I’m trying them out and I’d need a single footed guide for a temporary ring tip.
    I was reading posts on other boards about alveys – An aussie was saying that bigger guides are only an advantage if you’re using line over 20lb breaking strain, a yank was saying that him and his mates all use their alveys in a standard positioned reel seat and find it a lot easier to use and still quite effective – I guess you’d just have to have the first guide higher, and you’d be losing about a foot of leverage unless you only use your top hand to hold the line off the reel (which could be awkward).

Rodman
    Participant

The yanks dont know what they are talking about on alveys. If you are keen to get the proper setup and try some rods give me a PM.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.