Marlborough Surfcasting Competitions

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

The Surfcasting Competitions are only a few weeks away and like last year it seems nearly impossible to get even the basic details.

I would probably give the Kaikoura one a skip this year, but might head out to blind river if the conditions are decent enough.

Last years thread on the Blind River contest

https://fishingmag.co.nz/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=163&hilit=blind+river

Does anyone know if you are allowed multiple rods at the blind river contest?

Last year thread on the Kaikoura contest

https://fishingmag.co.nz/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=158&hilit=kaikoura

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Hi as you no i fished it last year for the first time. Basically how it works they go along sectioning the beach into numbered 20 metre lots and each lot cost five bucks, now you can have as many rods in the single 20 metre stretch as you like and as many people. The best option is to buy a coulpe side by side and increase the area to fish over. The area covers 40 lots to the north (which reaches the blind river mouth – sevengillz fish the last one but did not have much luck although the winner was only a coulpe of lots back from this spot but he was a local and that is his local beach so he knows it very well) and 40 lots to the south from carpark (which reaches almost to the bluffs.)
    Its a small commuinty fundraiser so doesnt have alot of incentives its more about the competion on the day.
    Theres prizes for men woman and children. Heaviest fish, smalliest fish, most fish (i got this with only four last year), and plenty of spot prizes too.

Miliwolf
    Participant

What happens to the dead fish?

HookLineSinker
    Participant

They can be weighed straight away usually as there is two weighmaster bikes going up and down the beach so that the fish can be realeased again usually but if they die well then they are wasted if not taken home for the table.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Cool, was a bit concerned with the prospect of keeping a fish which I do not want to eat. Even if it does die probably could fleck it off to another contestant. Might have to enter it this year, would enter the kaikoura one but 1 rod is just to boring.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

The tides arnt the best for this year depending on what weekend they chose to hold it usually its mid to late january, a pop in to the cosy corner should give you all the info you’ll need regarding dates and rules.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Not to mention a feed of country fried chicken

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.