Lunar

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

Between the Last Quarter and the Full Moon the number of fish species with a peak number per tide declined from six to one and the sum of the fish per tide x 1000 declined from 772 to 497. Warehou, Blue mackerel, Yellow-eyed mullet, Spotty, Grey mullet and Dab peaked in the Last Quarter, Kahawai, Snapper and Rig peaked on the New Moon, Flounder in the First Quarter and Barracouta on the Full Moon.

Source: ( http://www.oceansatlas.org/cds_upload/1 … bookNZ.pdf )

St_Paul
    Participant

the new moon thing doesn’t surprise me, have always found morning or evening tides over the new moon to be very productive. Wintides gives moon as well as tides.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I always thought that the stage of the moon was not important, but this evidence makes me think otherwise. It does support the popular opinion that new moon is better fishing then full.

yellowfin
    Participant

i have a calendar in my room that has the fishin days weather they will be good or bad etc and its all based on the moon phase. some days it will say good especially for eeling and stuff like that

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Look at the Maori calender and most of the good fishing is based aruond the new moon and also the best time to consider fishing for snapper down the kenepuru is around the new moon period, iv seen this first hand the only time iv caught fish has been on trips at the time of a new moon and iv been given several other reports from other people that trying to fish a full moon from shore down the kenepuru can offer up very little result.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.