Long cast reels

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    rdeejay
    Participant

Anyone else had any experience with the long cast spool type reels? I needed a new reel so decided to get one of these, loaded it up with .40 20 pound mainline and .70 60 pound black magic leader, reel is rated at 400 yards of .40 so there’s quite a bit of line on it. Headed off to Birdlings on Friday for a bit of a fish and some power casts and i must say what a huge difference over the standard spinning type reels, line coming off the reel is so sooth that i no longer have any shock knot issues hitting the guides and my OTG casts have increased around 50% so a huge improvement on distance. Next step is to head over to the park and get some field distance readings.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I own two reels with long cast spools (Daiwa emcast and Emblem pro) and do not notice any significant increase in distance compared with my standard spool reels. In claiming that, I mostly concentrate on shorter casts.

yellowfin
    Participant

Drop down to a a thinner main line and a tapered leader and it will go even further.

yellowfin
    Participant

I definitely wouldn’t drop down to a thinner main line for fishing the beaches around your area, unless you’re really wanting to get more distance. Long cast reels can make a difference for bigger reels. For example my Tica GG100 reel is one of the biggest spinning type reels avalible and casting with the I get much less distance compared to with my Okuma Axeon or Tica Dolphin reels.

St_Paul
    Participant

I have an Axeon and a Tica Sceptre both with long cast spools and they definitely out cast anything with a standard spool.
    You could look at a thinner diameter 20lb line and drop the shockleader to a .50 diameter line.
    I Use Braid on one of the axeon spools and find this gives you another big leap in distance. I have it loaded with 50lb Suffix performance braid which has a diameter equivalent to 12lb mono, this eliminates the need for a shock leader. This is great for fishing over sand , However if you are fishing rough seas on shelving shingle beaches it doesn’t wear as well as mono.
    For pure distance over sand you could probably get away with 20lb braid mainline and a 50lb braid shockie. Just make sure you use finger protection when casting. I use a cheap leather gardening glove with all the fingers except the index finger cut off. You can also use the cut off fingers as finger stalls.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I would not feel confidence fishing lighter then 20lb line of many of the east coast beaches I fish. Firstly for the added abrasion resistance and secondarily it makes landing the large sharks slightly quicker which is kinder on the fish.

For fishing the sounds it might be possible to drop down a bit but you still have to contend with rock oysters and other obstacles, at times it is essential to apply a lot of drag to prevent a eagle ray from wrapping the line around a known obstacle.

The slight increase in distance from thinner line is not worth the other downsides imo.

rdeejay
    Participant

Thanks for all the input. While i am aware of the possible increase as far as distance goes dropping my mainline diameter down and the pros and cons of mono vs braid i am quite happy with the way i have things setup. I find it a good enough combination as i can get the distance if i really need it without having it setup as a pure distance rod/reel and while it may not be flash as your guys axeons etc it certainly does the job. Mainly i was just finding out your opinions as far as distance increases from changing from a standard reel, my increase was quite substantial and obviously some of you other guys have noticed a big increase while others haven’t. Perhaps one day if i feel like just going for pure distance i’ll look at changing the setup but not anytime soon as i ‘d rather be out actually fishing in the sea than standing in the park looking like a nob catching grass lol

St_Paul
    Participant

just out of interest what flavour is the new reel?

was looking at the rovex long casts in hunting and fishing today and they look like a nice bit of kit for the $$

rdeejay
    Participant

Funny you should say that it’s a Rovex 8000Z paid $115 for it, does what i want it to do so can’t complain

yellowfin
    Participant

Spending some time casting in a field will help your fishing as you can try a few things out and see exactly how far your cast has gone .EG you can try a different drop from the rod tip and see how it feels and how far it goes then add a bit of rotation and see how far it goes.
    Learning to really hit your rod HARD is the key to it .
    Good rods and reels all help but the guy holding the stick is the the main part of the equation .

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.