Livebaiting mullet for trout ?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    fishforpot
    Participant

Was down the Avon a few hours ago , and had a pilchard/bread mash burley going strong …

Was catching a few mullet , but they were doing weird shit ….then I saw something flash past and grab a mullet off my line …..

The next mullet I caught was about 7 inches long and got a hook into his back quicksmart ……BAM !!!

Took about 5 minutes , but I landed a nice trout …Id have estimated it as a thick 8lbs …not having a licence I let it go , and it wasnt too happy , sitting just off the weed line getting its bearings again …..Just as I released it an old teacher of mine came walking past ,dept head master of Shirley Boys …He gave me shit about letting such a nice fish go ..he had a licence and is a keen fisherman and wanted me to give it to him for the smoker……he reckoned it was 10lbs ….I dont do mud fish , so would only be guessing ….but I cant see it being 10 ….not far off tho

Was about 2 foot long , and fat as hell …..took me a while to get the hook out , didnt realise they had nasty teeth like that lol ….wasnt sticking my fingers in there

Another slightly smaller one came past checking out the first one , it swam past 2-3 times before they swam off together …..

Is it common to catch them like that ? Ive not heard of it before ……

And NO mulletman isnt back , just before any smart plonkers start that shit lol

mulletman
    Participant

where abouts wher you fishing :?:

rdeejay
    Participant

fishforpot

fishforpot
    Participant

Was fishing off the Avondale street bridge …..

And I can tell you this , I wont be buying a license to go chasing them , the fight was not what I espected from a fish that size …..a kahawai half tat size would have fought harder ….
    Mind you , the height advantage I had must have been a killer for it

rdeejay
    Participant

Guess it really only comes into its element when your fishing for trout upstream where they have all the advantage, but bugger the license fees.
    I have a mate who is an avid trout fisherman, travels for miles by car to get there, walks for ages stalking them, catches a nice sized fish and what does he do…puts it back

rdeejay
    Participant

As for you catching the trout it was probably because you had such a frenzy of mullet around that it decided to have a sniff and play too but got hooked in the process, i’ve seen one go towards my baited hooks of lambs fry, damn was that fish hungry or what, pulled it away from it cos there was no point catching it.

fishforpot
    Participant

This fish was more than just having a nosey …..it was full on chasing mullet left right and center ….the bread/pilly mash had it in a total frenzy

yellowfin
    Participant

Live baiting for searuns isnt anything new, normally used large cockabullies havent heard of mullet though…..

fishforpot
    Participant

Im not up to speed with trout techniques …..never been interested in mud fish lol …..

The mullet I caught the bugger on was maybe 7 1/2 inches long … and it wasnt the first one he had taken off my line …..”dont tell the ranger lol”
    I just wanted to have a little word with him about stealing all my bait , just to warn him haha

After seeing that photo of the trout in that “trout in good condition due to mouse population explosion” artical online Id honestly say the one I caught was a lot fatter than that …maybe Tibble the all knowing pain in the arse teacher lol was right , probably was 10lb plus …might have been so stuffed with mullet it couldnt fight like it normally would have …..

It was just over 30 yrs ago I was watching a kids rod while he went home for lunch , living in that ugly huge purple/blue orange house on the right there , I think its a preschool now ……his rod hooked a wee mullet and it was going mental as I wound it in …from under the bridge a full grown kahawai come flying out and nailed it …Landed it easy enough , was low tide ….so it couldnt fight bugger all ….

I have no doubt they go further up than that ….used to catch a lot of the juvenial one off the same bridge ……

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.