Live bait rig

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

Does anyone have a diagram on how to tie the balloon onto a live bait rig?

Any suggestions on how big to make the balloon?

Sevengillz
    Participant

Do you have pre-made rigs or do you make your own? How much you inflate the ballon depends on the baitfish you are using and the wind needs to be takin into consideration.The balloon should not be fully inflated otherwise the baitfish is going to have a hard time swimming around if the wind picks up and if you only have a small baitfish on like a mullet or a small jack mackeral then they are gonna end up getting pulled around by the balloon,not the otherway round.A Kahawai,depending on size is a much more powerful swimmer so may require a bit more air but I dont think it need be inflated over half full if you know what I mean.Plus the fish will weaken when its got a hook in it anyway.Ive really only use mullet for livies and I wasnt expecting any big kingis so the rig I made wasnt an overly heavy big game sort of outfit.I was really only expecting a couta or maybe a kahawai to have a go at but I would definately use much heavier gear for kingis.Im goin to attempt to draw a diagram of the simple rig I used.Will post up if I end up gettin it right. :?

Sevengillz
    Participant

This is the simple-as rig I slapped together for live baiting.As I said it was only a light one as I was only using mullet for the bait and it worked pretty sweet,the livie’s swam around for hours with ease but unfortunatly there were no takers but it still worked so sweet.
    My mainline was 35lb braid,Swivel was about a 10kg one I think,Trace was around 60-80lb.The balloon trace was 1 length of 6lb mono or it may have been lighter than that.
    Lengths and weights depend on where you are fishing,what fish you are after and how deep you want your baitfish.Obviously if you are after Kingi’s then you want to atleast double the line weights I used and you could probably add a short wire trace to the end of the longer trace or whatever.You need a good baitfish to be pulling this gear around so a kahawai or even a trev would be ideal.
    I prefer to keep the swival and my mainline close to the surface so a short balloon trace was used.Prob around the 20cm mark.The main trace was about 2-3 metres long as it was fairlie shallow and I wanted the baitfish up away from the foul.Its important that the balloon breaks away after a good strike so the lightest nylon or a few strands of cotton should break easily when a good fish takes it.

Anyway more to the point,This is how I fix the balloon to the rig I use.
    A piece of piss soaked cake really. 8)

Miliwolf
    Participant

Thanks. That is exactly the method I had in mind. Do you “cast” the bait out or let it swim itself out deeper?

If you want to livebait on the bottom, just put a running sinker on the mainline above the swivel.

yellowfin
    Participant

i saw even using cotton to connect the balloon to the trace is a good option

Sevengillz
    Participant

Miliwolf

Miliwolf
    Participant

Another option which I am thinking about.

Is to tie a sinker to the end of the rig, then cast it out. Then hook your live bait onto a trace with a Snap swivel on one end. Then connect the snap swivel onto the main line and allow the fish to swim out to sea.

Sevengillz
    Participant

Yeah that would be ideal.Atleast the baitfish would be able to cover all water columns.

fishsnatcher
    Participant

thats also a good option if you put a big swivel [seperate to the sinker] and then tie the sinker on with lighter line than your main line if snags are near so you lose your sinker if you get a snag but not the rest of the rig or your fish.

And as miliwolf said slide your live or deadbaits on a snap-swivel with either float or weight or unweighted.

Sevengillz
    Participant

yeah I would always use a lighter line for the sinker but not so light that a slight abrasion would leave my sinker behind.
    The idea of the bottom live bait rig is to try keep the baitfish at a certain depth.I would use this rig mainly for john dory and I would prefer to keep the baitfish around about 2ft off the bottom without too much freedom, hence the shorter hook trace.
    By using a snap swivel and letting the baitfish cover the whole water column is a good idea if you are not really trying to target a certain species but if adding weight or adding a float you would have to be pretty precise as to how much weight/bouyancy you add because as the baitfish gets tired or nears death its either going to sink to the bottom or float to the surface.Even without the added weight etc its prob going to do the same thing especially if theres a strong current.
    A balloon rig would prob be alot better for covering different depths.Provided you have a rough idea of the depth you are fishing then you can adjust the length of the main trace to suit.Obviously you wouldnt want it too long or landing a good kingi or something would be difficult.I mean it would be a pain in the ass to have the swival hit the first eye of the rod only to still have 5 or 6metres of trace you have to pull in by hand with a 15 kilo kingi going nato on it :shock: mind you it would be exciting :P
    I should of really mentioned that the bottom rig I would use would be primarily used for targeting snapper and John Dory with live bait.Which reminds me…I must try it out over the holidays 8)

fishsnatcher
    Participant

I’m Gonna give live-mullet a go in the Dunedin Harbour for salmon, with 1 or 2 of the methods in this thread :)

I’ll try out the bottom rig first cos the salmon are almost hugging the bottom when they go in the harbour, I’ve seen people with 3 metre traces and a float :lol:
    they can’t cast for crèpè, and they have a big dead mullet on the end, or a “store bought” pilchard, which tend to melt off the hook with bait elastic or not.

Another problem with dead bait [which i HOPE will be eliminated with livies] is that there are giant schools of mullet which come around and strip your bait fish in seconds.

Seriously they are like pirahnahs, a guy ounce showed me how ferocious they are, he tied the tail of a mullet to a string and when he pulled it in the whole mullet had been stripped to the bone, he left it in for about 20 seconds….. eep! :shock:

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.