length of my rod

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    smells like fish
    Participant

they say its not how long it is but what you do with it but I currently use 3.6m long surfcasters (about 11 feet I think) and I estimate I can cast about 50-60 m with a 4-5 ounce weight and one bait.

I notice some of you talking about 16 footers (4.8m) does the use of these longer rods increase your casting distance by a noticable difference or is it the whole set up like big spooled reel with low resistance ,light line and casting method combined that gives you the 100m casts?

I would say I cant get much more distance out of my current set up as I can really punch it out there and it feels like thats all it can do.

What is your experience?

yellowfin
    Participant

In my bs opinion im 6’4 i have longer arms so the distance i can cast with my fin nor 16′ and tica cybernetic spooled with 25lb mono on a good morning with no breeze im getting around 75-90m
    With lighter line 16-20lb i might get 85-105m
    Mostly i noted it depends on breeze and line weights
    Buuuut more importantly your bait size and trace length and sinker type and weight.
    With 1 hook which i always use a small bait i.e prawn or shrimp on a 1 -2/0 will fly way over 100m
    But with two hooks and bigger baits the distance of cast is affected greatly.
    All you can say to yourself is am i catching fish ?
    Yes. Your rod and setup are sweet.
    No change line sinker and bait weights to get the extra distance…
    But 60m and behind the breakers @ high rising tides should be enough to catch you fish
    Cheers

troutfishernz
    Participant

Use a rod your comfortable with, I experimented with a longer rod 15ft but found it to difficult to use and I get more distance out of my 12ft rod.

smells like fish
    Participant

thanks for the replies.

I never am able to cast past the breakers round here,lots of sets of waves,its usually in the thick of it.

I have a fishing kayak but i only loke to take it out on a flat sea but then it will be near reefs for blue cod ect

Miliwolf
    Participant

I use to have 13-14ft three piece rods but this year replaced them with 12ft two piece rods. That means I can transport them without dismantling them, makes changing spots so much quicker. I rarely fish rough seas so the slightly shorter rods are fine.

Sevengillz
    Participant

I downsized from 16′ to 14 footers. Am casting slightly heavier gear and casting further with the shorter rods . I use two rods 14′ and a 14′ 6″ and being better rods I find it a breeze to top the distance I was getting with the 16footer . I dont own any 12 footers but prefer to use a 10′ off the rocks and in the sounds.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I think my Sounds rods are 8ft and rated for 6-10kg. I find long rods are cumbersome in the Sounds.

yellowfin
    Participant

My surf rods range from 13ft to 14’6 the rod can help with distance cast but the line plays a big part too, it’s also how you load your rod that can make a difference too

shark slayer
    Participant

i use 14 foot 6 rods nice clearance above the waves and not to big and awkward to use..16 footers are for beanposts like rig slasher haha..i wouldnt go any shorter than 13 foot unless you only fish morning and evening in flat water..11 foot is way to short it just dosnt have enough punch to bang out a breakout and dosnt have enough wave clearance in the holdet..would be fine for moki fishing..i am looking for a moki rod around 9-10 foot that can at least cast 3ounces but is still nice and sporting not a broomstick..antone know of any?i want something decent i have found a few but they are all cheap shit and just dont feel right..

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi. new to the forum. I have a 12′ and it is definitely a bit limiting. Struggle to get gear out a suitable distance in all but pleasant conditions, and line getting caught in the surf can be a problem. Should really upgrade, but there is so much other fishing gear to invest in first!

yellowfin
    Participant

Most comfortable length I’ve found is my 14s though they are pretty stiff rods

yellowfin
    Participant

If your short and weak stick with 12s and 14s if ur tall and meaty switch to longer and youll be happy with dist and love and appreciation

troutfishernz
    Participant

Yep that sums it up quiet nicely Rig_slasher. I took my 12fter to the park the the other day and getting about 90ish meters with 30lb braid 4oz sinker so probably getting about 65-70ish at the beach.

shark slayer
    Participant

wouldnt say im short or weak haha just find 16 footers to cumbersome to fit in the car and fish with plus your giving extra leverage to the fish..i cast 120 meters with a 2hook rig unbaited in the practise paddock normaly i just lob cast at the beach to reduce thex distance 70meters is fine.i use 20 lb braid tho imo anything heavier kills the fight and reduces distance i am going to drop to 15 lb braid and a 40lb leader next time o respool.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I am 194cm tall and 90kg and find 12ft rods ideal. The ease of moving and storing easily compensates in the slightly shorter casting distance. As a rule I do not fish rough seas so see little reason for using longer rods. Even in reasonably rough conditions I have not struggled to achieve sufficient distance.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.