Left hand wind overhead distance reel?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    pete88
    Participant

Looking for a left-hand wind overhead reel suitable for heavy surf fishing. Need something with a decent drag that will withstand seven gillers, stingrays and other lurkers. Have tried Swedish Abu’s but they have had problems with sand getting into them here in the Wairarapa where we get beach sandstorms (hurricanes) matching anything in the Arabian deserts!!!Also found their drags lacking and no left-hand wind in 10,000 size.

Thought about a Shimano Torium in 20 or 30 size. Anyone have practical experience with these reels??
    I still have a Penn Jigmaster 500 factory left-hander USA made but its not really a casting reel and bird nests are easy to create.
    Thanks guys

Allan Burgess
    Keymaster

I think I know what you are getting at. The modern Penn Fathom reels are very good. They are also quite reasonably priced. I haven’t tried one myself but I know someone who has one and he swears by it. They come in several sizes with star drags designed for casting. Great with braid too. I’m thinking of getting one myself for surfcasting. They would also make good salmon/surf reels, and be good for long range casting for kahawai.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.