Latest Catches

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 1,211 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

yea went to gather some mullet for bait thday and ended up getting a nice salmon 6kg lol was a suprise to catch when just getting mullet

yellowfin
    Participant

What bait and what size hooks and rig were you using?

yellowfin
    Participant

using a mixtrue of bait

yellowfin
    Participant

Ok. Sounds good

yellowfin
    Participant

So you were targetting mullet with 2/0 hooks? I thought that would be a bit big for mullet.

yellowfin
    Participant

not the mullet that are in the kaiapoi river man i usually always use a 2/0 hook in the kaiapoi for mulet

yellowfin
    Participant

How big are they?

yellowfin
    Participant

I have caught a couple of mullet over 1kg on size 14 hooks.

yellowfin
    Participant

well the largest mullet i got today i didnt keep cause i had enugh for bait i weighted and it was just over 1 kg

yellowfin
    Participant

i find using small

yellowfin
    Participant

I went down a hook size from size 10 trout hooks to size 12 and 14 hooks and i have noticed i have been catching alot more. Like the other day at Timaru i gotl iterally a whole bucket full. But the thing i have noticed with smaller hooks the mullet can come off the hook easy if you dont keep tension on and reel them up as soon as they are hooked.

yellowfin
    Participant

yea i agree thats why i use such big hooks for them and

yellowfin
    Participant

but then again thats just my preferance ive fised in the kaiapoi bnow since i was about 3 with dad and now im neary 20

yellowfin
    Participant

I use 3/0 hooks for targetting kahawai but i have caught 3kg kahawai on tiny size 10 hooks and when trout fishing people catch huge trout on tiny hooks.

yellowfin
    Participant

Good stuff with getting those mullet HEAD, and the salmon! I am still yet to find the mythical over 1kg mullet, I look forward to when I do.

I went to Timaru yesterday as I’ve heard good things so went for a fish.

The bait of choice was mussel! Mullet attracted one cod and 3 dogfish but that was it. The rest of my hook ups were on mussel. (1 cockabully on chicken heart! LOL).

The day seemed to start fairly slow arriving about 1 hour 30 min before high tide, I got a fairly good sized mullet to start on my sabiki. Some time went by and about 30 min after high tide I hooked into a small salmon would you believe, so yes they are there. Caught on the sabiki with a small piece of mussel on the hook. Inside the salmons stomach it had little silver fish about 6cm long, not sure what they were but yeah…..so maybe a small sliver jig might work at the harbour? Or a flasher type sabiki.

As evening approached and the sun starting going down thats when the cod started biting! Even though the tide was starting to be a fair way out the cod were still about. My first cod was my biggest for the day, got about 10 other cod but they were on the small side. I kept two more so 3 cod all up for the night. 3 or so of the cod I got were quite fat little things and very pinkish in colour, I could’ve taken them home and eaten them but after filliting etc thought I wont bother so put them back.

Nearly got a big crab to the top of the wharf at one point but it fell off.

“>

The Salmon

“>

First Red Cod

“>

Small cod, put back

“>

Fat little very pinkish cod, put back

“>

Nice red cod here, kept this one

“>

The evenings rewards. It an’t snapper or blue cod but it’s ok, got a nice plate full of fillets out of the cod.

Was quite fun at Timaru indeed and will be heading back at some point soon.

Cheers
    Aaron

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 1,211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.