Latest Catches

Viewing 15 posts - 1,156 through 1,170 (of 1,211 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Thanks guys, yes it was a giant bully http://www.niwa.cri.nz/rc/freshwater/fi … iant_bully
    It didn’t look like a freshwater fish to me, but now I know.

yellowfin
    Participant

yea ive got one HUGE one itr was a real giant. woulda been the size of a legal blue cod lol

Sevengillz
    Participant

I see you have conirmed what it is and its quite interesting.That was very near my excact description when I was trying to work out what this was…. :idea:

yellowfin
    Participant

that was ur maori cheif wasnt it seven? what booger caught too me sounds like a giant bully like the one i caught n the kaiapoi river (fresh water) although not too sure on the size of it that he caught

Miliwolf
    Participant

Tides are looking bad for the Marlb East coast beaches this week :( But should be all on for next week :)

Might head over to Croisilles Habour or the sounds for a fish.

Sevengillz
    Participant

The fiery ginga

yellowfin
    Participant

The bully was probably only about 20cm, so I put it back, I assumed it had come in with the tide from the sea. It was a pretty mixed but relaxing fishing/bait gathering trip, all up I caught some yabbies (kept 40-50 large males), 4 mullet, a giant bully, 2 big crabs, 4 or 5 dogfish including the biggest I’ve caught yet, a kahawai, and 4 or 5 small school sharks. I’m hoping to improve on the mullet catching, never seem to get many – probably in the wrong place at the wrong time.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Miliwolf

Miliwolf
    Participant

HookLineSinker

ciliaris
    Participant

Wonder what the record is for a giant bully lol! 20cm must be getting up there!

yellowfin
    Participant

the one i got wasout 30cm but my sister mademe throw it straight back

yellowfin
    Participant

booger where were you fishing for the mullet?

yellowfin
    Participant

Around low tide I was near the bmx track and got 4, mostly on yabbies, the incoming tide was about 2-3 hours later than I was expecting, then after that I went up to near the mandeville footbridge and the tide was going out ahead of schedule, but it might’ve been too dark by then for mullet anyway. I’m guessing that if the water levels are reasonably high, the incoming tide might not even make it far up the river and might take a while to even start coming in?

yellowfin
    Participant

well up stream more the river tide is slight later than down stream not by alot though

Giller
    Participant

Hi there to all,been a long time reader and now joined,this large seven Giller was caught by myself on march 8th down at rangitata sth side .after a hard and strong battle for 45minutes and having hooked him in the mouth then later on he self hooked himself in the tail and ended up dragging in sideways thru the surf.shark was released to the surf soon after a few pics were taken.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,156 through 1,170 (of 1,211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.