Latest Catches

Viewing 15 posts - 1,141 through 1,155 (of 1,211 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

Spent from 7:30-10:00pm targeting Rig from cloudy bay. Caught nothing. Sea was flat and calm.

Sevengillz
    Participant

wet a few baits down seaview late friday morning.Sea was calm and considering the nor-west was howling through town and seddon there was hardly a breath of wind on the beach.Not alot caught apart from a few good sized reds.Packed up after about 3 hours,it was crazy hot on the beach and I couldnt handle it lol

Miliwolf
    Participant

Just gotten back from Seaview, fished it from around 8am-12:30pm, it was overcast (with the odd shower to start with) and a cold wind blowing. The sea was choppy but not large. There was a constant stream of bites, caught 5-6 good size red cod, a similar amount of dogfish, two of decent size. The highlight of the trip was two good size KY.

Sevengillz, I had that happen to me once. The wind was howling at the two gates but when I dropped down to the beach it was calm with a gentle easterly.

Edit:

High tide: 10:35am (ish)
    Moon: Around half
    Bait: Pilchard, Piper and salted Bonito.

yellowfin
    Participant

Hey hls that picture of your daughter with that doggie they were about the size of what i was getting last night… only problem is i was catching them two at a time some casts. had a bit of weight on the line then so thought i had something bigger seen they were putting up some sort of resistance too then just see two doggies lol

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Was at seaview last night targeting rig but only caught 4 red cod cod (2 of which were rather large) and a couple of decent spinys all on prawn, had something big take one of my baits but it wouldnt budge just had a tug every now and then and then pulled the hook im picking it was a stingray although there was no line taken so could have been a large skate it was big what ever it was!.
    Good to hear theres kahawai down there to be caught now mili.
    Usually any wind that is blowing in the wnw, w to sw direction is excellent down at seaview iv managed to get the conditions like that a few times and on a mid summers evening its excellent as the wind howls over the top and out to sea and leaves the beach flat as, although get it more nw to northerly and the wind races down the beach against the bluffs and can be quite horrible it was a little like that last night and wasnt very pleasant but lucky enough was still fishable.

I usually only use single hook ledgers on wire or otherwise i too would probably end up catching two of those pesky sharks at a time and i prefer only one at a time, make that id prefer not to catch them but as yet havent found a bait they dont like yet.

yellowfin
    Participant

well from what i know they dont “USUALLY” like things like shellfish and prawns etc but too even catch them on doggie and stuff means theres alot around with in minutes of hitting the water i was catching them

Miliwolf
    Participant

I can’t remember the last time I caught a spiny dog while using prawn for bait. I do believe they are less likely to take it then fish baits. Do spiny dogs have a habit of swimming back to shore once released for anyone else, I find them a complete pain to get back into the sea. Had to wade out quite deep to release a big one today.

The wind directions often confuses me when heading down that way, now I mainly put my faith in swellmap. Today as I drove past the old meatworks site there was a howling wind and light rain (According to predictwind.com it should of been calm), I was about to head for home but decided to put my faith in the swellmap models and it paid of.

Can it be calm at Seaview but rough at the saltworks or vise versa?

A couple of dolphins also turned up just when I was packing my last rod away.

yellowfin
    Participant

a few i caught last night were swimming backto sure and then being beach. and then others were swimming about 15m off the shore on the surface for a good half an hour after being released

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Yip i have the same issues with the spinys i think its because they like swimming up current and the waves going out have the same effect. I caught doggies on crayfish before now too.
    Mili you’d probably have access to harvest.com, i look at the ones on vineyards down in those areas to give an idea of the winds too they can be very handy at times. If you want to save the time unless you know where they are i can give you the links (luckily most dot use passwords for access) to sum of the more useful vineyard harvest.com units down that way?

Heres a couple of pics of the jaw of the shark from last weekend that i managed to retrieve and trying to preserve.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I did not even know that harvest.com existed. Looks like a great resource. Would be great to have the links for the more useful vineyards.

Our vineyard is just a few hundred meters away from a official weather station so never had anything to do with small weather stations.

edit:

Here is a useful weather station in Blenheim.

http://www.scientificsales.co.nz/

Sevengillz
    Participant

I wonder where these live readings are being taken

yellowfin
    Participant

Went to the Kaiapoi river on Sunday – got some mullet, then after dark about 2 hours before high tide I caught a fish I couldn’t identify – the body was a similar shape and fin layout to a blue cod but it was lightly coloured, had a few pointy teeth like a wrasse, and had a wide mouth similar to that of a red cod.
    Went to the pier after that and caught large dogfish, small school sharks, and a medium sized kahawai on the outgoing tide at night-time which was a surprise.

ciliaris
    Participant

That sounds really interesting! My first thought would be a Giant Bully. They get pretty big in there like bigger than a big hand span but I guess you probably know what they look like. What else looks like a Blue cod that would live in the kaiapoi?? You got me scratchin my head!!!

Miliwolf
    Participant

Torrent fish? They are related to the Blue cod.

http://www.niwa.cri.nz/rc/freshwater/fishatlas/species/torrentfish

Doubt it would be one because they mainly live in whitewater.

yellowfin
    Participant

i say it woulda been a bully living in kaiapoi myself i have caught some enormous bullys before

Viewing 15 posts - 1,141 through 1,155 (of 1,211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.