Latest Catches

Viewing 15 posts - 1,126 through 1,140 (of 1,211 total)
  • Author
    Sevengillz
    Participant

I have prawns a plenty sitting in my freezer begging to be threaded onto a hook or three.I suppose rig season hots up around the same time the bigger sharks come in? I do recall having this type of conversation awhile back but theres just to many posts to go over now :lol:

St_Paul, Have you had a fish at Karaka pt since you have been up? Not a too-badder place for a fish during snapper season…on the right day 8)
    Mind you theres no shortage of places not too far from picton that produce snapper I suppose.I wasnt going to bother much with snaps this season but this talk is making me hungry :roll:

Miliwolf
    Participant

St_Paul

Miliwolf
    Participant

Sevengillz

Sevengillz
    Participant

Hey thats a good idea for another thread :wink: A quick reference catch diary/calender! :grin:

fishsnatcher
    Participant

Hmmm anyone heard of rig being caught down south like round otago, southland?
    I know blue cod fishing is good down there but apart from that?

tracknz
    Participant

Booger

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Wandered down to the beach this afternoon after a hunt this morning, was a bit windy but was ok casting still so set up and managed to catch a few fish with the wife and daughter having ago too.
    Here’s what the daughter reeled in on her little 10foot rod, its only a spiny but quite a big specimen at that.

And here’s what gave me a decent battle and i managed to haul in with the help of my wife

It was a bit lucky as when i got in to the wave zone and went to gaff it it broke the trace so realising this had to jump into the water to gaff it luckily for me it was worn out and didnt make a last dash for the deep blue again (unfortunately though where i struck it with the gaff was over the back so was unable to release it alive again) it went 56lb on the scales. Its the first decent tussle iv had with my solaris rod and handled things no problems.
    Caught several sinys and a couple of red cod also for the couple of hours we were at the beach.

Sevengillz
    Participant

goodstuff HLS :mrgreen: good to see a decent shark takin at that beach allready! I thought it might of been abit early still but apparently not! :grin: Not a too badder looking day by the looks of sea in those photos.Did it stay like that?

HookLineSinker
    Participant

The wind died down while we were there to become quite plesant, and the pics were taken around high tide, although if you look at the pics of the stormy sky that was the southerly on its way and i left not long after catching the sevengiller, by the time we left the clouds were blackas to the south so im picking the sea roughed right up.
    I caught that one on squid, and its stormy conditions like this that i caught my other one a few years back. I was a little hopeful of maybe catching something like this but not that big for this time of year and it gave the best tussel iv had so far on these sharks to the point it had several bursts of life for cook strait and i wasnt able to get it near the beach i had to go to it in the wave zone. Its fish like this that give a good fight that makes us all keep going back to the beach time and time again.

yellowfin
    Participant

I went to the pier for 4 hours today and ended up with a whopping catch of one mullet. Four or five asians (koreans?) turned up and caught about 10 decent kahawai. These guys had multiple rods, bustled in between everyone else that had turned up before them, and made it so that there were so many lines in the water in the same area that everyone else got pissed off and either left or moved to a spot with shallower water. I heard rumours that the council will have a presence next weekend, hopefully they kick these selfish dirtbags a55es.

yellowfin
    Participant

Went to the kaiapoi river on sat with Greg and Aaron. Was a little murky but we still managed to catch a bunch of mullet, couple small salmon and a 2-2.5kg eel. Other than that wasnt all that great, still good to wet the lines.

yellowfin
    Participant

bloody cold too aye steve. and windy as soon as that southerly hit it was freezing.

Miliwolf
    Participant

After a day of fly fishing I sneaked down to the coast for a evening surfcast, the tide was right, the moon was right, the sea was calm. It was the perfect night for chasing rig.

I caught a single red cod.

gunnercoops
    Participant

Just come back from a few hours at Baileys beach with a mate and kids. A nice red cod, a few smaller cod, 10lb skate, school sharks, doggies, then the NW blew and we were shot blasted by pebbles, so left! But great fun while we were there. :)

yellowfin
    Participant

just got back from a good 6 hours (ish) at amberley. first 2 or 3 hours were vry quiet with only 2 crabs and a doggie or 2 then managed to get a hand full of smalll to medium school sharks 5 or 6 of them id say. 23 doggies a red cod and a sting ray. ost of the fish were caught between 6pm and 815pm were getting nailed as soon a my bait hit the water… although nothing touched bonito mussel or prawn. caught all my fish on pillie,mackerel,school shark ,doggie and salmon, got my red cod on salmon

Viewing 15 posts - 1,126 through 1,140 (of 1,211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.