Latest Catches

Viewing 15 posts - 1,111 through 1,125 (of 1,211 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

Planning to catch my first Snapper on the last weekend of September this year :)

Moon is perfect
    8pm high tide (I believe)

How can things be any better?

Planning to kayak down to one of the outer bays and set up my surf rods for the night :) Never fished the bay before so that is a bit of a gamble.

yellowfin
    Participant

Went down to Birdlings last night from about 7 till 10. Sea was flat as can be with the breaking wave not 1m high. Nice full moon. Perfect night weather wise but bugger all fish or bites for that matter. Still it was nice to sea the sea there so calm.

yellowfin
    Participant

went for a fish this orning from sorta 6am till well wjhen i got home half an hour ago. went to a spot in the kaiapoi river that i usually go to if any colour inthe waimak…. got a small kaiwhai which is stange to get them that far up stream from the sea. also gotlot of small salmon well maybe 20 but of course released them all. got about 10mullet. and a rather average sized eel. might go back later this afternoon and have another crack at it.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Went to the diversion for a hour this morning (7:30-8:30), did not feel right so went home. Caught nothing. Going for a evening fish at the saltworks tonight.

yellowfin
    Participant

went to the sae location again today. was fishing under a willow tree and was down bythe waters edge releaseing a salmon i had caught then a feww average branches fell off and hit mew in the back. not 2 seconds after i ewas back on the bank a willow tree fell right down and landed exactly where i was standing, so me standing onthe bank was just missed by 2m on the bank or 2 seconds on the waters edge. the side of the tree would hav seriously injured me or killed me no doubt….apart from that got 30 mullet and a small flounder

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Miliwolf

Miliwolf
    Participant

It was calm with a nice gentle swell…

Nah there was a 1m+ norwest chop smashing down the beach, Once I got there I realised I knew it would of been like that. Should of consulted swellmap before heading down there. Ended up driving over to my secret nor-west fishing spot, there was no chop but large swells. The flaxbourne river deposited tons of crap into the sea, had a couple of fights with drift wood, sea weed but got busted off in the end. I have never caught a fish while fishing that spot.

After dark had a look in the flaxbourne river itself, was surprised to see thousands of mullets everywhere, they must be chasing whitebait.

Sevengillz
    Participant

HookLineSinker  
    Howd the trip to the saltworks go? Was going to head down there myself but gave it a miss as i figured the noreaster wouldve roughed things up too much i was mainly heading down there to get some crabs which is ony feasible in calm conditions iv found.quote]

Hi HLS, How do you go about catchin crabs down the works? do you put a pot in off the end of the pier or something? I want to try my hand at rig fishing in summer so I need to get onto the paddle crabs myself 8)

yellowfin
    Participant

im sure the cooked or raw prawns would do some damage on them as well

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Miliwolf

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Sevengillz

yellowfin
    Participant

I went to the pier earlier. Wasn’t too impressed to see they haven’t removed the fishing ban signs yet, and there were asians with 3 rods each hogging the end. There were only dogfish and young school sharks around, some of the school sharks were borderline eating size. A guy walking his dogs brought them down to the end of the pier, one of them went for a guys baited hooks and got a hook right through its tongue, it got taken to the vet.

yellowfin
    Participant

Booger

Miliwolf
    Participant

One of my dogs grabbed a baited hook when I took it to the beach, I gave it such a freight that she dropped it :)

I find dogs to much trouble to take surfcasting.

St_Paul
    Participant

Caught a nice stargazer of the jetty at waikawa on a softbait yesterday, fight like a wet sock but MMMMMmmmm tasty. cloudy bay is looking good, flat as today and the rivers appear to be clearing. 26th is looking good for a twilight snapper fish.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,111 through 1,125 (of 1,211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.