Latest Catches

Viewing 15 posts - 1,096 through 1,110 (of 1,211 total)
  • Author
    Sevengillz
    Participant

The fiery ginga

yellowfin
    Participant

January to May is supposed to be the best time for catching Moki from the shore around Kaikoura. I’ll be fishing at Kaikoura tonight (wharf and/or railway station), will let you know if there’s anything around, but my visits at about the same time last year were pretty fruitless (except for a salmon).

yellowfin
    Participant

i read otherwise that its september to march

fishsnatcher
    Participant

man evry1 says “ah crap adogfish” but they actualy taste quite nice, lol but as said on this sight “the fight like a wet sock”

please post on “surfcasting Dunedin” forum :!:

————————

licking poisonous toads can relieve depression, but the toad soon gets depressed again once yuo stop licking it.

yellowfin
    Participant

just got back from fishing the kaiapoi to get mullet for the cat. ended up getting 13 small mullet like 20-30cm and 400gram and 2 small and i mean small salmon lol

Miliwolf
    Participant

Spent 6 or so hours on the south bank of the diversion today, Had a surfcaster with prawn out the whole time. Spent most of the time fly casting into the river mouth. Left just after sunset, caught nothing.

A few fish were caught by people on the north bank.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

The wife and i poped down to seaview saturday evening, not a lot was happening caught a few tiny school shark some spinys and a good sized skate. The impressive part was the cutting in the sand dunes from where the creek broke through to the sea, was getting snagged up on a heap of gorse and debris thats obviously sitting out in the sea and hasnt yet been moved on by the sea currents.

As it was a nice evening, went down to the wairau bar half way to the diversion and caught a heap of spinys with our daughter catching the biggest her first beach caught fish (she was all smiles :) , and my wife caught a red cod, all on pilchards mainly, a couple were on spottie. Right on dark had a couple of prawn baits striked at but didnt hook up. Was a good evening at the beach.

Sevengillz
    Participant

Whats the water looking like down the bar HLS? still a bit off colour? I see we are forecasted for more showers starting wednesday :evil:

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Yip closer to the bar it was still really off colour to a murcy brown but down towards the pines the water was a lot cleaner and very fishable, was almost wishing it couldve been mid summer last night with the conditions they were excellent fishing wise a nice chop on the water not too much swell just wrong time of year and wrong phase of moon.

Miliwolf
    Participant

It was also quite clean down current from the diversion mouth, clearer then I thought it would be atleast. I almost went to the pines myself but decded to fish the river mouth for trout instead. Going to give it another week and hope things warm up abit.

Sea is forecasted to be very calm next weekend which should be nice.

yellowfin
    Participant

Went to Kaikoura, but only caught red cod, bastard red cod, and dogfish. One of the local surfcasters confirmed that moki aren’t around yet. Made a small detour to Nape Nape on the way back, caught a blue cod but it was undersized so I put it back. In both locations there were no bites during daylight hours, berleying only produced flocks of seagulls and a seal. Dusk fishing produced the best results even though the tide was going out.

yellowfin
    Participant

The fiery ginga

yellowfin
    Participant

there was on niwas site but i think its offline now

yellowfin
    Participant

I just had a look, and yes you’re right about that. I wonder why they took it away. I’ve had a decent look and there doesn’t seem to be anything useful online about the colour of the river. Oh well.

St_Paul
    Participant

The niwa cams are mostly defunct, one of the ashburton ones used to be great for checking swell before heading south.

On the Picton side of things, kahawai seem to have returned, got 3 smallish ones yesterday morning in 4 casts. Baitfish seem to be coming back in and it looks to be shaping up as a nice spring and summer.

Hopefully off fishing tomorrow, am taking some customers out on a charter in the strait (weather permitting) :D :D
    I love my Job!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1,096 through 1,110 (of 1,211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.