Latest Catches

Viewing 15 posts - 1,066 through 1,080 (of 1,211 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

Been for a scout around the Sounds, checked out Okiwi bay and the Blue water is a good distance offshore. Then checked out the Pelorus sounds, bascially anything above the kenepuru is one massive brown mess. The Kenepuru itself had clear water (for the kenepuru) but was very cold. No fish of note were caught.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Thats a lot of driving to do sum scouting and no fishing obviously you dont worry about the fuel useage?

Miliwolf
    Participant

I did 3-4 hours of fishing in the Kenepuru but caught nothing, used pilchard, prawn and plastic for bait.

My original plan was to go to Okiwi and do a kayak mission but there was a cold wind, and my water bladder leaked in the car so I had nothing to drink on the big paddle which would be required. So I decided to head for home, while driving through havelock I noticed how calm it was and decided to take advantage of the distance I already driven and headed towards the kenepuru, I was hoping to find clean water sooner but that was not to be.

I did notice the fuel use, but diesel has drop quite a bit in the last few weeks and I have not done many long distance trips so was not much of a issue. If is around $2/L during the summer it would be a worry.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Its all goood apologies for how i put the message (a tad rude) any way good to hear your reports and stuff, i had another think about it and figured what price can you put on enjoyment in the sounds and fishing i guess its priceless really well it would be if that one trip landed the fish of a lifetime aye.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Fished the high tide down at the saltworks, used prawn for bait. Calm condition with moderate waves, nice warm day but caught nothing.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Yea was down there too conditions were good look promising but not even a bite so no fish either although did see a red cod hauled up at the end of the pier as we left. Catch you around again on the beach another day mili. Was using squid, spottie and pilli’s for bait.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Going to give it a few weeks and hopefully the water would warm up a bit. The water was getting quite warm before the recent southerly storm.

Sevengillz
    Participant

Spent a few hours at seaview yesty.Got there around 10am and the weather was beaut.Stayed till around 2pm and baked away in the sun and come away with a pair of good sized reds.There was quite a few asians fishing and they didnt seem to having much luck either,just a cupla tiny sharks from what I seen.
    Looks like that wee pond down there had turned into a swollen river during those couple of big downpours we got a while back.It bored a heap of sediment out and managed to reach the sea.It must of filled the gully quite a bit to push all that sand out the way.

Miliwolf
    Participant

True. I went down there and had a look a few day after one of the downpours, when I was there it had recently stopped flowing into the sea. Would of been a cool site in full flow. There was a massive gravel cliff on one side.

I also walked to the mouth of the Blind River and watched it flowing into the sea.

Sevengillz
    Participant

Yeah would of been quite impressive to see how big the sea was that washed all the debris upto the grass at the bottom of the hill too.Dont think i wouldve been keen on sitting down the bottom carpark during that

Miliwolf
    Participant

I have seen waves washing debris right to the top of the beach in cloudy bay. They were actually going a good distance up the river itself. The occasion I saw the massive waves they were caused by a cyclone miles away.

That little entrance road could be a bit slippery during rain I suspect.

Sevengillz
    Participant

yeah it was.Id say its no longer suitable for most 2wd’s apart from utes unless ya have some big tires on the arse end.I actually got my car stuck right at the very top as I was just nosing it down but managed to get her back easily enough.Last sunday was the first time ever I have had to park at the top.I would normally drive down and get back up piece of piss in my car but I have 17inch rims with 235’s on them and stock suspension so it sits a little higher and use to have no trouble at all on that hill but now its mainly the top 10metres of that track thats rooted.Theres a big hole that the water obviously bored out so now shes pretty much 4wd unless you want to get bellied out.I will attempt it when it drys out and hopefully keep the ass end from sliding into the hole….I am now paying the price for selling my truck :roll:

yellowfin
    Participant

Hoping to get out this sat somewhere not too sure yet maybe birdlings weather permitting.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Might be heading down to kaikoura this weekend, if I go down on Saturday I might get a bit of night fishing for moki in. The rest of the time would be kayak fishing and diving, the sea temperatures are still very low.

yellowfin
    Participant

Went to the waimak mouth, got some eels at low tide, nothing for the first half of the incoming tide, then left.
    Might go to Kaikoura this sunday and/or monday. The wave heights don’t seem too bad on http://www.swellmap.co.nz, but seem a bit borderline (and rising) on http://www.marineweather.co.nz. hmmmm.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,066 through 1,080 (of 1,211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.