Latest Catches

Viewing 15 posts - 1,051 through 1,065 (of 1,211 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

We been getting a steady light to moderate rainfall this evening. Looking at metservice it would get a bit lighter but rain would fall all of tuesday. One thing to remember, never complain about rain in Marlborough (unless it is during harvest).

We would be complaining about the drought in 3-5 months so let it rain :grin:

On saturday the water at the mouth of the wariau was fairly clear… Visibility maybe 1m.

Think I would concentrate my fishing around marfells because there is no big rivers in this area to dilute the sea water.

Sevengillz
    Participant

I plan to start the sharkin in a couple of weeks.I got a funny feeling things may pick up earlier this year.I know its been pissin down for the last cupla 3 months but we been havin some fairly warm weather and I wouldnt expect there to be many more frosts.The Kahawai cant be far off now that the whitebait are making an appearance and by the sounds of it there is still snapper around.
    A mate of mine txt me last night and said he had found a weird as fish washed up down the bar while he was runnin the hounds.I went out and had a look and confirmed it as being a Rabbitfish (ghost shark).It was fairly fresh and couldnt of been dead for more than a few hours.
    Not really a big deal but I had never seen one in the flesh and they are quite a deep water species so still interesting.

yellowfin
    Participant

yea very interesting… if i do recal correctly a few years back one washed up on leithfeild or amberley beach as well

Miliwolf
    Participant

I am surprised to hear snapper are still around. I would of thought maybe out on the deep reefs in the outer sounds, I thought they only start to move back into the inner sounds at this time of year.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Spent a few hours at Saltworks today fishing, saw a skate and a red cod being caught. Tide should be right for a evening fish later in the week.

Also took a walk down to the Blind River mouth, I only went there because I wanted to see Blind River flowing into the sea. So it is not a blind river at the moment… I found that amusing enough to spend the time to walk there : :cry: Quite a bit of flood damage on the road, would of been a impressive site during the peak of the flood.

yellowfin
    Participant

just read in the fishin mag for august that a group of people had a day at the diversion catching kaiwhai and were leavin everything they caught to die slowly on the bank

Sevengillz
    Participant

Miliwolf

Sevengillz
    Participant

The fiery ginga

Miliwolf
    Participant

Interesting, think I might drift a few chunks of garfish behind my kayak. Would be cool to catch a September Snapper or a dolphin.

yellowfin
    Participant

Went down to Godley Head for a one hour fish, got a bastard red cod, the usual banks peninsula snags, and some great exercise.
    Made a detour to the pier on the way back – the head ranger was leaving just as I arrived, from what I’ve heard it sounds like they’re starting to crack down on the main offenders down there.
    One guy at the pier said the odd kahawai and decent sized mullet have been caught lately though I only saw a dogfish get caught.

yellowfin
    Participant

well ive heard at night they still getting a few cod and the usual doggies. good to hear about the kaiwhai though even though i dont like them but a sign some warmer species are slowly comming back

yellowfin
    Participant

went and sat down at the waimak mouth during my lunch today since i am for one workin in kaiapoi lol. saw a hugeish school of ky feeding there which was a suprise to me saw a few jump around the 2/3kg mark. the river has changed alot inth last few months after all these floods etc see sand banks where ive never seen them and the river mouth is extremely wide now compared to its usual path that i remember straight out to sea

Mal
    Participant

Mmmm ky chasing the whitebait perhaps??

yellowfin
    Participant

yea that was my thought

Miliwolf
    Participant

Might have to get down to the bar for a fish shortly, Hoping to get a early season KY.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,051 through 1,065 (of 1,211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.