Latest Catches

Viewing 15 posts - 1,021 through 1,035 (of 1,211 total)
  • Author
    HookLineSinker
    Participant

Managed to get down to the beach yesterday avo first time for a very long time. Caught a mixed bag of the usual winter species, several spinys of which one my wife caught was a rather large specimen, three rather large cod and a moderately sized skate and a bady school shark. Was good to get out and wet the line and yip the red cod are around alright.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Went down to Seaview today, got there around 10:30am and the sea was calm for the area. The first fish of the day was a small doggie, followed by a weakly fighting KY and then a red cod. Over peak tide I got several powerful strikes but none got hooked.

As the afternoon got longer and the tide retreated the sea grew rougher, a slow stream of small and moderate dogfish was gotten for the rest of the afternoon. I left the beach at 4pm.

The most productive baits used were pilchard, bonito and Piper. KY and Shrimps did not catch any fish.

Miliwolf
    Participant

went for a quick surfcast at Blue Gum after driving back from a kayak fishing trip.

Spent around 1 1/2 surfcasting towards the end of the day, used salted bonito for bait. One rod in close the other out deep. Fishing was slow, the sea was fairly calm but with large clean surf. Caught a large paddle crab and a red cod when I was reeling in to escape a cold southerly blast.

Miliwolf
    Participant

During the Summer several of you guys were wishing for winter fishing to start…. Now it is winter, why the lack of fishing reports?

yellowfin
    Participant

meant to be going for a fish 2morrow with aaron jones jr so will post a report tomorrow

Miliwolf
    Participant

I am heading down to Kaikoura for a kayak fish on Sunday, might head down Saturday and fish the wharf at night. Have not made up my mind.

yellowfin
    Participant

Miliwolf

yellowfin
    Participant

yea im the same danny mate loads of cod aroud this year for once and a fair few doggies still pleanty of mullet and a few kaiwhai.hop to maybe get some flatties 2morrow but of course wont say no to some reds but mullet kaiwhai and odggies will be going straight back where they came from especially the kaiwhai and doggies ht pieces of crap they are

Miliwolf
    Participant

Gotten back from my Kaikoura trip.

Got there around 5pm Saturday night, wind was strong sending a series of large chops under the new wharf.. After a hour or so I had enough and moved to the Old Wharf which was calm. After a while at the old wharf the wind changed direction and I retreated back to the New Wharf which was now calm.

I quickly landed two big red cod, and a while later a small one. The water was dirty…. Watched 20 mins of the rugby then went back to the wharf until 11pm for nothing. Then went over to the marina wharf where the water was clean but caught nothing. Stopped fishing at mid-night.

I think we need a incoming tide at night for Moki.

(Sunday was a very calm day but did no land based fishing).

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Took the wife down to the saltworks today for a bit of fishing; caught the usual ;plenty of spinys most the bigger ones were caught by the wife and four red cod, 2 to me and 2 to the wife.
    Surprisingly one of the cod i caught had no tail and yet was still quite a big specimen the missing tail had been gone for qiute a while as there was no scarring and it was well healed.
    The conditions were very calm a lovely afternoon on the beach. The wife caught most the fish as i was busy cleaning up the cod and rebaiting. ps intend to add a pic later of the salty location

Sevengillz
    Participant

Miliwolf

Sevengillz
    Participant

HookLineSinker

Mal
    Participant

Spent the weekend at Wanaka with the family doing all the tourist things, I’m not a trout fisherman but if you go to the wharf with a loaf of bread the fish there are amazing, literally dozens up to 10 lb competing with the ducks, it was worth the trip just to see that.

yellowfin
    Participant

spent a few hours fishing the pier late yesterday arvo till about 645 pm. fished with aaron(jones jr) and steve (shark tale) got a few doggies between us and a few red cod. a few others were catching alot of doggies and a few red cod as well. the cod we got we of around 60-64cm

Miliwolf
    Participant

Went for a moki fish near monkey bay friday night. Got there a bit late and was not really organised. Spent around a hour fishing before heading back. Caught nothing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,021 through 1,035 (of 1,211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.