Latest Catches

Viewing 15 posts - 1,006 through 1,020 (of 1,211 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

how did u go about catching the gars man?

Sevengillz
    Participant

St_Paul,
    Just an idea mate,if youre planning on taking ya surf rod down Diversion ways I reckon you are best to drive to the Wairau bar and then take one of the many tracks that take you to the beach on the nor-western side of the bar.There is 2 or 3 tracks that come off the main road just as you hit the metal road heading to the bar.The 1st track you need a 4wd but the second is ok for a car if you take it easy.They merge and then the track heads west along a fence line and that goes all the way to the diversion.Main track is sweet as for cars.
    About halfway along that main track you come to a patch of pines.Its hard to miss because its all marshland out there.
    I recommend fishing anywhere opposite those pines.Its nice beach and fairly deep compared to the bar and diversion and is smack bang in the middle of them.
    Its the only spot I fish now and I have tried everywhere else.Fished them parts for years.
    This time of year you get the typical species,red cod,spikys and small schoolies and usually in good numbers.
    Another good reason is because you will most likely have that stretch to yourself and there prob wont be anyone around for miles.
    Anyway its just an idea and if you read this let us know how you get on wherever you go. 8)

Miliwolf
    Participant

I believe opposite the pines was my granddads Snapper spot. He use to catch heaps of them surfcasting on that beach. That was before the trawlers thrashed the area. I also seen a photo of him in a small dinghy off Rarangi with a couple of larger Groper and a massive Snapper.

Fishing that stretch recently I have not caught much, mainly just Red Cod, KY and the odd small shark thrown in. When I am down that way I much prefer to go fly fishing on the south side of the diversion mouth.

Might vist the diversion myself today.

Dunno if I would like to live in Picton or not.

Positives
    5 minutes from Snapper fishing in the Summer. QC Sounds very close. Baitfishing on doorstep.
    5 minutes from boatramp

Neutrul
    Short drive to the Keneperu sounds and grove arm, but along the twisting QC drive.

Negative
    30 minutes further away from the East Coast Surf Beaches.
    30 minutes further away from the Trout rivers.
    A long drive for New Tackle, the local sport shop is ok in a emergency.

I have not been able to figure out the best place to live in Marlborough.

Sevengillz
    Participant

yah it seems it was a good place for snapper back in the day.My ex’s old man first told me about it.He reckoned good snapper could be caught there quite easily at the right time of year back in the days.He said setting a net over the mussel beds was the way to catch them.
    Think I must try that myself.On a good day you could launch,set and return in 15minutes with the beds being so close.
    As long as you have a legal net with the right mesh size for snapper I wouldnt imagine there would be any issues with the fisheries officer.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Only problem being that when you retrieve the net it would contain 3 dead and 2 ill sandsharks, 5 tope, 1 dead red cod and a couple of sick rays.

Sevengillz
    Participant

lol yeah and must not forget the 6 small spiky dogs that are tangled in there good and the blood pissing out from under ya finger nail from getting spiked by the very last one you have to untangle. :mad:

yellowfin
    Participant

wat about the kaiwhai?

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Hi Guys; just got back from the honeymoon.

Its interesting u guys mention this area as thats where a lot of the rig i caught in the past summer came from and have found some parts fish alot better than others. Havent been out for a very long time in fact the last time really was the comp back in january so im itching to get down the coast even just to catch some spinys and maybe a couple of cod for than pan to fry.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Went for a walk outside tonight and noticed the full moon. Wished I was down in the port chasing Moki. Full moons do not occur often enough for my likings.

St_Paul
    Participant

ginga key to catching gars is small hooks size 12 or 14 trout hooks usually do the damage tied on a trace about 40 -80 cms under a pencil float when you see the float change direction a light strike will normally have em hooked up i usually use very small bits of squid as bait.

thanks for the tips re the wairau bar/diversion SG will have to get out and give it a crack sometime soon.

did manage to get out for a day on the boat with my wifes uncle, taught the old dog new tricks using long jigs which he laughed at when I first tied it on

Miliwolf
    Participant

Did you catch anything exciting on the long jigs?

My guess it would be a combination of Couta, KY and Cod.

St_Paul
    Participant

cod, maori chief, parrotfish, kahawai and had a fairly substantial hookup with what I suspect was a smallish kingi or grouper but assist hook gave out on me

yellowfin
    Participant

Good old red cod……… Have they shown up yet?? anyone been catching any??? im planning on heading out for a night fish in about 3 weeks time the gf wants to come a well so she wants some red cod lol.

yellowfin
    Participant

just got back from pier.quite a few reds caught maybe 15. about 6 or 7 doggies as well i gt 2 reds and lost a massive cod didnt even know they came this big as it was being lifted up the pier. mostly caught around high tide.

Miliwolf
    Participant

The Red Cod have been around in number for quite a while up here, first started to appear a month or two back. When the Red Cod arrive I pretty much pack my surfcasting equipment up and change my tactics, there might still be desirable species around but I can not be bothered releasing 10 cod and doggies for every tope or lemon. The worst thing is the small hooks I use for many species are swallowed by the Cod meaning I have to keep them.

Caught several massive Red Cod a couple of months back from Seaview and Cloudy bay. Suddenly had a urge to head down to the East Coast surf beaches and have a try. But a 1hr+ drive for doggies/cod does not get me excited.

Now that the Trawlers and set netters are going to be forced further out my allow for more interesting species during the winter. Although, I have no historic winter catch records before the ocean rape and plunder occurred.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,006 through 1,020 (of 1,211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.