Latest Catches

Viewing 15 posts - 991 through 1,005 (of 1,211 total)
  • Author
    Disconnected
    Participant

Went out to Birdlings yesterday got a couple of doggies we didn’t stay that long. The swell wasn’t bad and there was very little wind.

Jones Jr.
    Participant

Spose there isn’t much fishing going on. hmmm…..

yellowfin
    Participant

There’s still the occasional kahawai in the waimak but mostly small ones. I noticed that with the amount of rain that’s been falling over the last few days the river appears to be flowing out to sea even when the tide is supposed to be coming in.
    Went to the pier at night earlier in the week, mainly dogfish around. I guess it’s at that stage where the summer fish have left and the red cod haven’t arrived in any numbers (and hopefully they will).

Sevengillz
    Participant

Anyone been to the Kaikoura wharf lately?

gunnercoops
    Participant

5 of us had a cold and blustery night 3 weeks back at the Wharf, big swell, near horizontal light rain, high winds…lovely :? . 1 big red cod, a few patrick starfish, and 1 conger landed, another big bugger conger brought to the surface but no way of hauling it out, and that was about it…the sea lice were in plague proportions, do fish move on when the lice are in such big numbers? We will go back, but on a night when you are not at risk of getting blown in, hypothermia etc.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Heard from a couple of sources Snapper are still about in the sounds. So could still be worth targeting them.

yellowfin
    Participant

i hav found when fishing the kaiakoura wharf if the lice are around the fish arent really the lice will get to the bait first lol

yellowfin
    Participant

reading in the may fishing mag they have reduced the red cod limit fromn 30 down to 10. i guess this is a good thing but in all reality who really wantesd to take 30 red cod anyways. even 10 i think seems to be very fair

Sevengillz
    Participant

yeah mate 10 is more than plenty.I dear say there would be the odd halfwit out there that would take 30+ a night with no regards for the fishery.

yellowfin
    Participant

yea exactly

Miliwolf
    Participant

10 is still a lot of red cod. Although it makes me wonder why Red Cod get protection while other less common species continue to have a (overly) generous bag limit.

Anyway. Is anyone going fishing this weekend?

If the weather holds I would be down the keneperu catching Snapper, or atleast trying :)

Wow, this thread is now 1000 posts long.

Sevengillz
    Participant

Yip im gonna wet one this weekend.Prob just down the bar or seaview ways depending on the weather.
    I got a report today about snapper up the Kenepuru.Still around in good numbers by the sounds of it.The joker I was yarnin to got 7 snapper up near portage.Didnt give me excact location but it was from a boat within a stones throw from the shore.
    3 well over legal and four pannies just over legal.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I spent 5 hours fishing around the Keneperu in my kayak… caught a grand total of zero Snapper.

Might head down to the saltworks today for a few hours with the surf rods. Would need to tidy the mess which is my car first.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Never made it to the saltworks today. I was up half the night watching a crapy movie, then sleeped in. After doing the chores around the house and mucking around it was approaching 11am… So I decided to tidy my car then head south after lunch.

Then my dad asked if I would help him load wood onto the truck from my Nana’s, I reluctantly agreed and we headed off and got back home at 1pm (went home via the scenic route)… After lunch it was 1:30pm and Dad wanted me to help unload the truck.. 2:00pm…. It then took the best part of a hour to tidy my truck which meant it was 3:30pm-ish. I had to get dinner ready at 5:30pm so was not worthwhile to drive 35 minutes to go fishing.

I hoped othere had more luck. I had a look down at the diversion and a few people have caught Red Cod.

St_Paul
    Participant

have made the move up to picton, have been having fun catching garfish in the harbour using a pencil float. had the surf rod out but haven’t caught anything decent. might have a crack down at the diversion on sunday.

Viewing 15 posts - 991 through 1,005 (of 1,211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.