Latest Catches

Viewing 15 posts - 946 through 960 (of 1,211 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

Yesterday took a drive to a local river mouth and the KY were running, even the big ones. I spent several hours flyfishing in the rain and landed around 10-15 small fish….

There was around 10 people spinning and 6 baitfishing. One of the guys spinning caught 3 large KY and heaps of small ones. I probably out-fished the other spinners….. A group of three bait-fisherman also caught a pile of KY several large. Most of the bait fisherman caught few of nothing… I feel getting the right spot was important. Still a fun but wet day.

Today, I decided to drive to French pass for a bit of fishing. Got to the turn off and the rain started, decided to cancel the trip. Decided to go and check out the road to Hori bay and a few other spots in that area, the rain was bucketing day at times. Decided to drive to Nelson city and check out a few stores. Drove back and had a look at the Hori Bay entrance, the forestry company had the gate *Locked*…. their excuse is that crews are currently working in the area… on a wet Sunday?

Forestry companies really annoy me how they abuse their ability to close roads and keep them closed. There is a public easement across that land and should only be closed when they have a good reason!. Most forestry companies in Marlborough only close the roads during weekdays on during times of extreme fire risks which is the way it should be.

Anyway, I also checked out the Kokarua road and had a look in the Whangamoa river, it was high so did not look for trout. Again forestry had the road closed before it got near the coast. The Whangamoa fishes best in the lower reaches.

By now it was fine but was to late to go to French pass so I drove over to Tennyson inlet instead and fished at tuna bay off the wharf. Had 4kg of Salmon burly in the river which got the attention of the local herrings. All the baits I tried did not stay on the hook, eventually caught a herring and sent him out as a live bait. Apart from the odd baitfish caught nothing.

PierMaster
    Participant

I went fishing in Kaikoura last week on Thurs 28th, fri 29 and Sat

On Thursday i fished from 12pm till 3.30pm got 5 resonable kahawai from 3lb to 5lb in about 5 mins which i used for bait over the 3 days which turned out to be very useful, and then lost a monster stingray seen it a few times but then most have run me into some rocks because it damged main line preti badly.

On Friday i fished from 10am to 1.30pm and got 7 seven gill sharks and lost 3 seven gill sharks it was realy rough waves even tho they might not look it in photo lol made it hard to land them cos they just kept rolling around on my line and tangling up and snaping my shock leader of 60lb happned twice that day one just fell off in the surf :P

On Sat i fished from about 10am to 2pm and got a conger and 4 seven gill sharks, lost 2 seven gill sharks because it was even rougher than friday! it was bery big swells, never seen them that big before, some most have been close to 3m, which was crazy because they are as tall as you on the beach but they dnt seem to make it up the stones.. luckily!

Put all the seven gill sharks back and the conger :)

Lost loads of sinkers but it was fun :)

good old days

Jones Jr.
    Participant

Has no one seen this post?!

Awesome stuff Pier Master!! Are you just using standard ledger rigs with slabs of Kaiwhai on the hooks? Your fishing exactly where I’ve been in those photos!! But you look to of had way more success!! How do you do it?

Have you done a bit of fishing at the pier might I ask (name and all, heh)?

Cheers
    Aaron

PierMaster
    Participant

Yea i usualy fish standard 2 hook ledger traces with 80lb line with twisted droppers and 5/0 or 6/0 hooks there,but on that day i was only using 1 hook traces on my rods cos i lost lots of gear and they were still taking the bait+ shorter traces means i could cast further and really needed to get the disance that day :P
    I allways fish kahawai at that beach, nothing else seems to work as good :)

I fish lots on that beach just in front of the carpack to the railway station I’ve caught loads of stuff there and also fish the competition there every year.

Yea i fish loads at the brighton pier mostly at night for rig in the spring & summer
    cod at night in the winter as well
    and occasionaly fish in the day for kahawai and herring for bait

My name is Andrew I know most of the regulars that go down there, often fish in a canterbury jacket lol

yellowfin
    Participant

ahhhhhhh so you hve been a past member of this site and havstgot a new account lol i believe ive seen you fishing the pier before

PierMaster
    Participant

yea account got deleted lol so made a new one :P
    yea most ppl that go dwn there regulary know me haha

yellowfin
    Participant

i hardly ever go down there lol

yellowfin
    Participant

your pics looks to be near the same spot aaron and i fished we were right up beside a bed of kelp like 10/20m off the shore just down fromnthe rail way station we were casting only abit 5m either side of it

Miliwolf
    Participant

Went down the coast, at salty the sea was rough so decided to drive back to Seaview. There the sea was unsettled but still fishable. I guess my lines were in the water before 7pm.

On one rod I fished 2 bits of cooked prawn, while on the other I used a selection of bait. The fishing was very slow. The first sign of life occurred just on dark and i pulled in a large red cod. Sadly I must of wenched it in backwards because it would not revive when I tried to release it :| …. So had to keep it. It had been eating crabs.

On the second rod I decided to try a piece of salted bonito, and that also resulted in a red cod which was 51cm long at a guess. Can not remember one that long before, sadly it had swallowed the hook which meant I had to keep it to. So have to find someone to eat two big red cods tomorrow.

I hope the cod were just a fluke and not a sign that the winter fish are returning. Might have to start using bigger hooks again because cod swallow 4/0 to easily.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Went to cloudy bay, between the two mouths. The sea was not rough but the water was everything from brown to murky blue… a large variation. A long period of nothing but towards the end of the session landed two large red cod. Released both but they were weak.

Would head out to french pass tomorow and hopefully catch a fish which would put up a fight.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Drove down to the surf beach south of Kekerengu. It was dead low tide when I got there but the sea was very calm for that area. Fished from 12-3:30pm, then decided to move south to the three fords and try again.

When I got to the three fords a nasty southerly picked up so I did not do any fishing, drove home all of the calm seas were now choppy.

Did not even get 1 confirmed bite. I hope the fishing picks up again before winter.

yellowfin
    Participant

from talking to a few salmon fisherman yesterday at the waimak apparently the salmon fishing there has been fairly shit and not many kaiwhai have been caught there either in the last few weeks the 2 i got yesterday you could hardly call a kaiwhai they were only 30cm

Miliwolf
    Participant

I am tempted to put my surfcasters away for the year, and mainly concentrate on the kayak and fly fishing. I suspect the KY would return to my local rivers, they were scared of by the recent floods.

I am still keen to land a few more lemons and a couple of large sharks before winter. The tope I caught on New Years day is still my biggest for the year. So might try and get 2-3 more surfcasting trips in.

St_Paul
    Participant

Fished at birdlings flat from 6 -10pm on friday night, very quiet bite wise a few wee nibblers until just on dark when I hooked a decent conger.
    Looks as if the fishing is starting to tail off. haven’t seen any elephants caught for about 3 weeks. Rig seem to be few and far between now too.

yellowfin
    Participant

Just had a few days fishing at Nape Nape and Kaikoura. Fished with Miliwolf on Wednesday night and Greg the Ginga/Steve/Aaron on Thursday night at the Kaikoura wharf.
    Miliwolf caught what looked like a big poo (sea slug?). There were lots of small fish hanging around the wharf, especially at night time, the only legal sized fish I got there were a 48cm/2kg blue moki and some red cod that were about 25cm but not worth taking. There were some local teenagers cutting up well undersized moki they caught to use as bait.
    I don’t know if it’s a coincidence or not, but as soon as I started using a packet of Pams prawns instead of the ones from Countdown, the prawns got very little interest.
    In two visits to Nape Nape I got a 35cm blue cod and a reasonable sized octopus, and let the octopus crawl back after cutting it free.

Viewing 15 posts - 946 through 960 (of 1,211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.