Latest Catches

Viewing 15 posts - 931 through 945 (of 1,211 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

you could always target doggies!!!!!! i think skate are around more during winter as well. at river mouths i believe sole and flounder are more common as well

Miliwolf
    Participant

Moki swim north to spawn.

[quote:2pdw87o9] Commercial catches of moki were strongly seasonal, with abundance peaks occurring in August-September at Gisborne, June-July and September-October at Napier, September-October at Wellington, and May-June and October at Kaikoura. Moki were resting or developing reproductively in May-June at Kaikoura, ripe and spawning in August-September at Gisborne, and spent in October at Kaikoura.

http://www.rsnz.org/publish/nzjmfr/1981/30.php

yellowfin
    Participant

I used to live over at Akaroa and we caught heaps of small Skate’s and Ray’s off the wharf there all year round.. There were quite a few rays that would cruise around the main wharf and these things were up to 3 metres wide. :shock: They were flippin huge!! They would swim with the tips of their wings coming out of the water.. They were damn impressive to watch and we never really bothered to try catch them as we had no reason to.

They were hooked a few times and I seen people fight them for over an hour but never seen one landed. Most ended up getting wrapped around boat moorings and snapped off…

We used to see them whilst out on the jetski too. They would be right up close in the shallows.

They could be a species to target.. Just for the size of them

Jones Jr.
    Participant

Miliwolf

Sevengillz
    Participant

I read up on the Moki migration a while back but I also remember when I first caught moki off that wharf was last August.That makes it the middle of winter so im guessing you get the odd 1 or 2 that winter-over in the south.The same with sizable Tarakihi although they were pretty hard catching.They wouldnt even take any sort of bait including shellfish on a 1/0 hook.Im over this warm weather now and look forward to many a night standing on that wharf in a frost! :mrgreen:

yellowfin
    Participant

funny you say that ive been thinking the exact same thing im over this warm weather but i guess in 6 months time we will be saying im sick of this cold weather id rather be stadning on a beach in the sun

Sevengillz
    Participant

Lol thats true but for now….summer sucks :lol:

yellowfin
    Participant

hahahah yea cause all the leftover summer species that stikaround should hopefully be the big bastards

Miliwolf
    Participant

The only good thing about winter fishing is that it get dark early. I want the summer to go on and on and on….. So much more fishing to do.

Catching red cod and dogfish have never excited me. Would prefer a Snapper, gurnard, tope, rig, KY or trout any day of the week. I do not have enough time to go fishing and summer is over to quickly.

I did a bit of diving around Kaikouria last winter and there was always plenty of Moki around. So I say they are worth targeting any time of the year.

This winter I would do a bit of fishing. Mainly targeting Moki and maybe butterfish. Slightly offtopic but I also hope to do a bit more spearfishing over the winter and maybe try and locate a odd blue cod spot a quick paddle away. But generally the winter months are quite slow for surfcasting.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Miliwolf

yellowfin
    Participant

Fished at Birdlings Flat today, took the afternoon off work & conditions were good so thought what the hell.
    1 Carpet Shark landed & released, took a pic on my phone, because I wasnt 100% sure what it was! about 80-90cms long. Actually had a triple hook-up at the time! Fishing 2 rods using 2 hook ledger rigs on both, on 1st rod average sized Spiny Dogfish(top hook) Carpet Shark(bottom hook), & a bloody Seagull that came to investigate the catch coming ashore got tangled in the 2nd rods line! All released without harm. Apart from that, 1 Yelloweyed Mullet & numerous more Spinys of varying sizes. Not the most attractive species by any means, but beats working anyday!!!

yellowfin
    Participant

i actually had the same thought about today ringing the boss the old im not comming sick voice when really i was working on catching fish lol

yellowfin
    Participant

Lol, days with good conditions have been too few & far between so ya gotta take em when they come!! I am lucky to have a fair bit of autonomy so not too hard for me.

yellowfin
    Participant

Went to kaikoura last night to fish off the wharf. Was a bit choppy when we first got there so it didnt look too flash. But we grabbed the gear and set up anyway.
    Dropped a berley bomb over the side and set up the rods.
    Could see small moki under the lights but no herrings, mackeral etc.. The occasional piper. but that was about it.

Another couple down there were fishing directly beneath the light and were hooking up on heaps of moki. Alot of undersize though. but good ones as well.

Wind died down as the tide came in. And we started hooking up on moki. We kept 6, 4 around 42cm and another 2 around 50cm.
    (Thanks to the guys who mentioned prawns for bait :D)

Hooked what I think was a fairly decent moki., had my 8ft rod well bent over and was taking a heap of line.. But he wrapped me up around one of the poles.

We also got a small conger eel.
    There were heaps of barracouta about but they werent too interested in anything we had. Tried lures, bait under floats, and hook and bait with no sinker.. They’d grab it and we’d give them slack to run for a while but they were not attacking anything hard.

There was some sort of shark down there too.. About 6ft long. and some other guys said they had seen one another night.
    It kept coming up the berley trail and had a bite at the berley holder a couple of times. Tried to dangle some squid in front of its nose.. but he wasnt interested.

So was a good night in the end, Got back to chch at 7am.. And straight to sleep :lol:

yellowfin
    Participant

Thant’s good going on the moki. Well done! That wharf sure is a good spot for fishing. The barracouta will often go for a live-bait when they won’t touch anything else.
    Best wishes – Yellowfin :)

Viewing 15 posts - 931 through 945 (of 1,211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.